Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 11:45:20

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Logfiles and Privacy 

Logfiles posted in the Bugs forum can be REALLY bad for privacy as they contain (at least under Windows) the full path to the user's home directory. If that has the full name of the user, then that can reveal the RL identity of that user.

There are several ways this could be handled. Maybe there is a way that logfiles could be uploaded in a way that only Henri can download them. That would limit the exposure to just one person, and hey, by downloading and using his viewer we implicitly trust Henri.

Another way would be that users could be made aware of this in the "Rules" for posting bugs. They could be asked to do a Search & Replace for their username in the logfile and to replace it with something harmless like - literally - "username".

Yet another way - which I think would be the best, but also the hardest to do - would be that when the logfile is written, the individual username in the path would be automatically replaced by "username". That way the potential to leak info this way would be eliminated at the source.

Oh... and while I'm at it... The same should be done with the SL username. Sometimes I encounter problems while logged in with an Alt which I do not want to be associated with my main character. Would have to do a Search & Replace for that too before I could post the log.

2012-11-15 16:57:04

Using your real name as a username on any computer is not really wise, since this username can be disclosed over the network by many different means by many different programs (other viewers will even post them automatically on crash to LL or to their author)...

As for the logs, nothing prevents you from doing a quick search/replace substitution on them before posting them.

2012-11-15 19:12:15
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]