Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-19 11:12:42

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
General Setting Display Name [Legacy Name] 

Hello !

I have another little cosmetic problem that I thought I could get along with but it bothers me a bit.

Many people chose to give their Avatars those fancy names that one can barely read. But some give theirselves Display Names that make sense and easy to read (like my Display name is Frank).

Two problems:
1) the usually great working search in the IM window to start a new IM (fast typing of the first two or three letters) doesn't work as good anymore because of the people who start their Display Name with symbols... Is there a chance to ignore those symbals in the quick search?

2) When I open an IM the tabs only show the legacy names.. That is not optimal as many people changed their name siginficantly.. when I then react to someone I always use the legacy name because that is the first I'm looking at (yes, I know, when I go in that tab I see both names). Is there a way to let me see both in the tabs?

Friends Floater:
When I open it I see the online friends first, what is good. But I just can't get the way that list is sorted. Would it be a good idea to have the same sorting as in the IM-Friends Finder?

Best Wishes,
Frank

2023-01-20 21:59:47

DonFranko wrote:
Many people chose to give their Avatars those fancy names that one can barely read.
Welcome to the wonderful world of UTF-8 silliness... :roll:

Quote:
But some give theirselves Display Names that make sense and easy to read (like my Display name is Frank).

Two problems:
1) the usually great working search in the IM window to start a new IM (fast typing of the first two or three letters) doesn't work as good anymore because of the people who start their Display Name with symbols... Is there a chance to ignore those symbals in the quick search?
Not sure what you are speaking about, since there is no "search" feature in there... :shock:

Quote:
2) When I open an IM the tabs only show the legacy names.. That is not optimal as many people changed their name siginficantly.. when I then react to someone I always use the legacy name because that is the first I'm looking at (yes, I know, when I go in that tab I see both names). Is there a way to let me see both in the tabs?
No. The problem is that when an IM session starts, only the legacy name is most often known (unless this avatar was previously encountered and their display name still in cache), and the display name only comes after the corresponding query is done by the viewer, following that IM start event, meaning it will appear only on second IM from that avatar... Plus, it would mean only displaying a part of the (usually super-long) display name in the tab handle (which can only display a small length string), and not the legacy name (which is the only "stable" name, or at least as long as the legacy name is not changed via the new pay-feature), which would come too far after the display name.

Quote:
Friends Floater:
When I open it I see the online friends first, what is good. But I just can't get the way that list is sorted. Would it be a good idea to have the same sorting as in the IM-Friends Finder?
The sorting is done by 1.- online status and 2.- string sorting (which is unintuitive for UTF-8 strings).

However, I already implemented a way around these annoyances and I simply recommend that in the "Preferences", "General" tab, in "Always use legacy names for:", you check "Friends" and "Speakers": this ensures only the stable and readable legacy names are used everywhere you need to be sure who you are speaking/dealing with... Do read the tool tips for these check boxes and you will see these features have been implemented exactly to deal with what you describe.

2023-01-21 13:40:01
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
DonFranko wrote:
Many people chose to give their Avatars those fancy names that one can barely read.
Welcome to the wonderful world of UTF-8 silliness... :roll:
:lol:

Quote:
Quote:
But some give theirselves Display Names that make sense and easy to read (like my Display name is Frank).

Two problems:
Not sure what you are speaking about, since there is no "search" feature in there... :shock:
when I type a letter the list fast scrolls / jumps to the first appearance of a name starting with that letter or when fast typing two letters to the first appearance of those two, same for three...

Quote:
Quote:
No. The problem is that when an IM session starts, only the legacy name is most often known (unless this avatar was previously encountered and their display name still in cache), and the display name only comes after the corresponding query is done by the viewer, following that IM start event, meaning it will appear only on second IM from that avatar... Plus, it would mean only displaying a part of the (usually super-long) display name in the tab handle (which can only display a small length string), and not the legacy name (which is the only "stable" name, or at least as long as the legacy name is not changed via the new pay-feature), which would come too far after the display name.
ah, okay. That makes sense. Although for me the IMs always only show the legacy names I believe.

Quote:
Quote:
Friends Floater:
The sorting is done by 1.- online status and 2.- string sorting (which is unintuitive for UTF-8 strings).
okay. That's what I thought. So that is different to the friendslist that appears to chose a friend to start an IM with. I'm very sure, that list is sorted by string, yes, but the sorting field is the legacy name what is different then the friends floater. I'm still not sure what sorting method I prefer but recommend to have the same for both tables. Mabe make it an option?

Quote:
However, I already implemented a way around these annoyances and I simply recommend that in the "Preferences", "General" tab, in "Always use legacy names for:", you check "Friends" and "Speakers": this ensures only the stable and readable legacy names are used everywhere you need to be sure who you are speaking/dealing with... Do read the tool tips for these check boxes and you will see these features have been implemented exactly to deal with what you describe.
I'm aware of that and used it for a long time. But now so many friends change their display names to names that they wanna get called now so that I use more often the these preferences unklicked as I cannot remember all the display names.

Question/Feature Request:
Would it be generally possible to change the Display Names in a private list (that gets created when you change it in the Friends Floater)?
If yes, would it be possible to see these names in the IM-Chats, Public Chats, too?

That would really help in all that names mess.

2023-01-23 13:26:08

DonFranko wrote:
So that is different to the friendslist that appears to chose a friend to start an IM with. I'm very sure, that list is sorted by string, yes, but the sorting field is the legacy name what is different then the friends floater. I'm still not sure what sorting method I prefer but recommend to have the same for both tables. Mabe make it an option?
The Friends list is using a scroll list (LLScrollListCtrl), because it needs very special list items (with not only the name, but also icons and check boxes for each line), while the "Start IM" tab of the chatter box uses a name list (LLNameListCtrl): those lists are filled in a different way: the name list is just sent the UUID and legacy name, and retrieves the display name later on (asynchronously), meaning it is sorted by legacy name order. The Friends list is filled differently since a scroll list does not know about avatar names (legacy or not), but just about strings, so the floater code fills up the "display name [legacy name]" string for each line, which gets therefore sorted by display name order... I could re-sort the name list after the display names have been all filled up in it, but we would loose the online-first order, so that won't be good...

To summarize, no this will not be changed...

Quote:
Would it be generally possible to change the Display Names in a private list (that gets created when you change it in the Friends Floater)?
If yes, would it be possible to see these names in the IM-Chats, Public Chats, too?

That would really help in all that names mess.
So instead of "just" two names to remember, you want a third (a "private/local nick name") ?... Sorry, but no. If you want such a feature, make it a suggestion in LL's viewer JIRA (if LL implements it, it will eventually get backported to TPVs)...

Again, the simplest thing to do is to disable display names in the Friends list, Speakers list and Radar ("Use legacy names" in the Options tab of the Radar), and enable them only in the chat/IM text and name tags. When someone emotes, both their display and legacy names them get printed, and their name tag will show both too (so you can see how they want to be called); it is easy to see who is speaking or around and find their (legacy) name in the lists...

2023-01-23 20:08:18
Profile WWW

Quote:
So instead of "just" two names to remember, you want a third (a "private/local nick name") ?...
:) No, only two. My idea was to just use legacy names and my personal Names for them to know how to call them... But I see your point :)

Quote:
Again, the simplest thing to do is to disable display names in the Friends list, Speakers list and Radar ("Use legacy names" in the Options tab of the Radar), and enable them only in the chat/IM text and name tags. When someone emotes, both their display and legacy names them get printed, and their name tag will show both too (so you can see how they want to be called); it is easy to see who is speaking or around and find their (legacy) name in the lists...
That is worth a try. Thank you !

2023-01-24 13:19:39
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]