Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2020-09-25 01:26:36



Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
[Windows] Virtual memory and installer issues 
Author Message

Joined: 2020-06-13 09:02:09
Posts: 7
Reply with quote
Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Please, start afresh without the old settings...
Done, and despite the chore of doing all my personal settings again, it seems that was enough to solve my issues (that, and clearing the cache). I could spend the whole sunday without a crash, including some torture sessions in heavy poly-mesh areas. It also holds the EE shaders without a sweat 8-) And all that, despite I have updated no driver, as I wanted to proceed one step at a time.
It seems recycling my old settings since numerous updates may have been the root of my issues. Sooner or later, something should have gone wrong with that method...

About other statements :
    Yes, my graphic driver may be a bit old, but so is my GC after all. I now use to stick to the driver provided by Windows Update, because in the past I had encountered issues with latest drivers from Nvidia for a given discontinued card : they sometimes brought me more problems than they fixed. So I prefer a battle-hardened driver to a newborn one, unless it really brings something essential for my hardware.
    Same for the AGESA : if it's not broken, don't fix it (Linden Lab, if you read me... :roll: )
    And no, I haven't overclocked (not yet, at least). My current Ryzen 5 2600, despite not being last-gen, is already quite overkill for SL. For now, I simply let the turbo mode do the job. Yet I still know the overclocking-101 in case the day comes (an old Athlon 64 that I use for retro-gaming could confirm it) :mrgreen:

Anyway, thanks for your help, Henri. :)


2020-06-29 16:20:16
Profile

Joined: 2009-03-17 18:42:51
Posts: 4340
Reply with quote
PierrotLeFou wrote:
Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Please, start afresh without the old settings...
Done, and despite the chore of doing all my personal settings again, it seems that was enough to solve my issues (that, and clearing the cache). I could spend the whole sunday without a crash, including some torture sessions in heavy poly-mesh areas. It also holds the EE shaders without a sweat 8-) And all that, despite I have updated no driver, as I wanted to proceed one step at a time.
You still should update your driver (*), using NVIDIA's driver, not the ones provided by Windows update: for Windows 10, just make sure to select the standard drivers and not the "DCH" ones (which use a silly UWP-based configuration tool, instead of the standard NVIDIA configuration utility), and to avoid all the cruft (GForce Experience, Telemetry and all the bloat), you can use the wonderful NVIDIA slimmer (simply add "NVcontainer" in excess of the default install it proposes to you, else the configuration utility won't work).

Quote:
in the past I had encountered issues with latest drivers from Nvidia for a given discontinued card : they sometimes brought me more problems than they fixed.
Which I addressed in this message (after "it's always a good idea to...").

Quote:
Same for the AGESA : if it's not broken, don't fix it
Had you been the owner of a Zen 1, you'd have badly wanted the new AGESA, to fix the silicon bug gcc revealed... AMD does not publish AGESA often, and (just like Intel), they are usually well tested and safe. You can of course wait a month or so before updating, and see how it fares on the early adopters' systems.



(*) The crash in the OpenGL DLL is abnormal and likely totally unrelated to the settings/memory issue; since you did not overclock your system (which could have been a possible explanation, thus why I wrote about overclocking), it is almost certainly a GPU driver bug: search the web for "nvoglv64.dll crash GTX 1060" and see the results...


2020-06-29 17:17:03
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.