Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-18 23:59:42

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Lighting problems with viewing mesh clothing or avatar. 

I have my Graphic Quality & Performance setting at low, for maximum speed.
And I would like to know the bare minimum for viewing Mesh textures, properly.

I could have subtitled this "The Quiet Death of SL's Mesh Market", for some drama? ;)
Because we are not buying any more of this Mesh Mess, until something changes. :(

Overall, it looks hideous with vastly over darkened and lightened textures.
(It is like shadow and lighting effects have actually been "burned" into some mesh textures?)
And there is some terrible lighting that seems to change radically, as you spin a mesh avatar around, :(
(BTW, I have lots of detailed Persian and Japanese pieces on "old" sculpted pieces that still look perfect? :)

Thanks for listening. . .
So, , , just point me towards your Graphics Setup message, somewhere, please? ;)

... Tig ...

2013-07-17 05:52:25

Not sure what problem you are speaking about... Everything looking just fine, here.

2013-07-17 23:18:35
Profile WWW

(Well, maybe some more details and experiences might help? )
I only have a dual-core PC using Win7, with 4GB memory and X4500 graphics (updated) .
So, I really need the lowest graphics setting, possible, for this problem with mesh textures and lighting.
(I have my Graphic Quality & Performance setting at low and Basic Shaders (off), for maximum speed.)

Thank you.

I am using Cool VL Viewer 1.26.9 (current version)
So, which viewer should I use?
... I am guessing that the current "answer" will be like this...

In Preferences, Graphics:
Basic Shaders (on), <= Mesh brightens, almost like Full Bright, which destroys normal bright colors.
Hardware Skinning (on) <= Mesh re-darkens and tries to look correct. But now, grays replace bright colors.

*** BTW if you suddenly have bad dancing or slow animations, remember that you were warned. ***

* So, mesh objects seem to require special unique settings and processing, just for their textures. Why?
* Mesh is supposed to be better and more efficient, but is there a hidden problem within the mesh format?

*** One positive idea, give us an option in our viewers, to see mesh objects, just like standard SL objects.
(Simply don't require Basic Shaders and then process mesh textures, just like our standard SL textures.)

((( BTW, Henri, thank you very much for your work with VBO and Compress Textures, my Memory Usage (memory leakage) is amazingly low, now! :) ))) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1262

... Tig ...

2013-07-18 03:23:01

Oct 16 2013, I am using and updating all viewers. But while I was testing with Basic Shaders (off),
both Cool VL Viewer 1.26.8 and .9 (33) are showing strange Full Bright problems with some textures.
Some standard prims have Full Bright locked. And some of the sculpt prims have it shifting on and off.
While Cool VL Viewer 1.26.4 (94) seems to be quite normal and very stable.

And Henri, thank you for that 32 meter Draw Distance! This will be very handy for BB Classes and building.

... Tig ...

2013-10-18 13:23:04

Please, see this message I just posted in reply to another "issue" in another thread. Rendering results change as LL changes their renderer and as TPV viewers must adopt them as time passes to keep on par with new features (here, materials, but before it was mesh, for example)... If you are unhappy with a particular rendering "feature", your best bet is to reproduce the issue with LL's viewer and open a JIRA issue about it, referring to their viewer and the issue you see happening with it.

2013-10-18 14:19:01
Profile WWW

Thank you, again and again, for your very prompt and very insightful replies.
And now, this "blind man" might be finally seeing some interesting Truths about Their plans for SL.

To keep this "nice and positive", I will be simply saying "Hello" to your very fine Cool VL Viewer 1.26.4! :)
(Maybe I should call this change, simply Escaping the Curse of Brights & Dulls from Mesh & Materials? ;)

So from me and the rest of SL, who will be needing .4, like Keep the Faith and Bravo, Henri !!! 8-)

... Tig ...

2013-10-19 03:13:37
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]