Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-18 22:55:34

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
1.26.11.4 is not installable 

Hello,

1.26.11.4 doesn't install on my PC. It hangs right at "Installing SLPlugin.exe" and never finishes, it even is unkillable, I have to reboot to get rid of the installer window.

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)

[EDIT] Ok, looks like my virus scanner greatly dislikes the archive. Worked all well with previous versions... :-(

Ok, and it looks like it doesnt start with the AV program enabled either. It just hangs at

INFO: RRInterface::init: RestrainedLove enabled and initialized.

and doesn't continue.

Last edited by Tillie on 2013-12-14 15:24:08, edited 1 time in total.

2013-12-14 15:03:47

It installs just fine here, both on a native and on a virtual (VirtualBox) Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bits systems... I even tried to re-download the package from my website and installed that flawlessly...

I see two explanations: either the package you downloaded got truncated or corrupted (re-download it, making sure to SHIFT-right-click and save it so to force your browser to download a fresh copy and not a cached one), or an antivirus (or a virus) is interfering during the installation...

2013-12-14 15:22:56
Profile WWW

See above, it doesnt start either, after installing with AV disabled.

And no, I do not disable my AV to run Cool VL Viewer.

2013-12-14 15:25:05

What do you mean by AV ?????

Please, post the logs !!!

2013-12-14 15:51:03
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
What do you mean by AV ?????

Please, post the logs !!!

Anti virus I meant, sorry. I now tried to reinstall .3 and it didn't work either, same error. Apparently Kaspersky raised the bar for software in its 'activity monitor' section again and broke lots of stuff. I disabled the activity monitor and now all works well again, .3 and .4 installation and start.

Sorry for the trouble.

Kaspersky annoys me a lot, lately. It tells me about every malicious mail attachement in detail in large windows, but it doesn't tell me if it changed important settings / security levels.

2013-12-14 16:23:47

Tillie wrote:
Apparently Kaspersky raised the bar for software in its 'activity monitor' section again and broke lots of stuff. I disabled the activity monitor and now all works well again, .3 and .4 installation and start.

Sorry for the trouble.

Kaspersky annoys me a lot, lately. It tells me about every malicious mail attachement in detail in large windows, but it doesn't tell me if it changed important settings / security levels.
Kaspersky uses a very disputable "heuristic" algorithm in excess of the rock solid and reliable "signatures" database. It means that it tries to guess whether (what it thinks is) a given code sequence could be illegal code or a tentative of exploit. The problem is that it's impossible to predict what action a particular sequence of code will actually perform in megabytes large programs will result into (and this is to suppose that this "suspect" bytes sequence is actually code and not plain data !). The result is a LOAD of false positives, making such anti-virus software a real nuisance.

Simply disable the heuristic engine, or change for a 100% signatures based anti-virus (I'd recommend ClamWin which is freeware and which signatures database is updated daily).

You could also try to white-list the problematic component (SLPlugin.exe, apparently, which sounds logical since it's used to launch plugins, something that probably looks "suspect" to Kapersky's heuristic engine, even though SLPlugin.exe will never load anything else than the harmless plugins bundled together with the viewer...), if this anti-virus supports white-listing, of course...

2013-12-14 16:33:07
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]