Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 15:51:10

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Steps 2 & 3 not being enabled in Physics tab of Upload Model 

Hi Henry,

I have noticed a bug in the mesh ‘Upload Model’ dialogue on the physics tab. Steps 2 and 3 are not being enabled after selecting the level of detail from step 1. I tested this on the LL viewer and noted that that they should be become enabled after step one is completed. The ‘Analyze’ step seems to be important for the server to properly handle mesh structures with gaps or holes, such as a pair of fence posts you would walk through or a doorway. Apparently, if the analysis is not run, SL does not properly recognize these gaps and you wind up with a non-passable surface. I don’t know why SL would require the analysis step since you can supply a perfectly good representation of the physics in step one, but it is how it is, (or how it seems to be anyway).

Thanks,
-Lycia

2014-03-22 03:41:15

This is not a bug. Theses steps cannot be enabled in TPVs that don't have Havok support (Havok is a closed source, paying library while the Cool VL Viewer is a GPL viewer). They are not that essential either unless your model is badly designed in the first place...

2014-03-22 08:16:37
Profile WWW

Well, the model I have tested this with should have no technical flaws; it is a simple mesh containing two boxes spaced far enough apart to walk through. With the same .dae file used for both the model and physics layout, and without the analysis step, you get a mesh where the gap between the boxes acts as a solid surface. This is fine if it’s a limitation required to maintain GPL compliance, but it’s not the result of a bad model.

Anyway, I accept closed as a limitation, and will use a non-GPL viewer for mesh uploads that require physics analysis.
Thanks,

-Lycia

2014-03-23 08:39:58

Lycia_Undercroft wrote:
Well, the model I have tested this with should have no technical flaws; it is a simple mesh containing two boxes spaced far enough apart to walk through.
Well, I'd suggest splitting the model in two then... I bet there won't even be a difference in the land impact...

2014-03-24 11:40:46
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]