Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-24 18:52:19

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Installing and running the viewer under 64bits Linux 

Hi,

I have been using COol for many year. Thanks a lot for great work. I just installed cool for linux on ubuntu 14.04. Using either the terminal ./CoolVLViewer-1.26.10.18-Linux-x86-Setup or double clic, or right clic with run dont work. Nothing happen. (permission are set to run) Installer dont start . Let me know at gimisa@yahoo.fr what you need to help me with this bug. ( singularity in comparaison installed properly ) .

Thanks
GiMiSa

2014-04-24 21:48:45

This is not a bug (post moved to the proper section...), and a simple search in this forum would have provided you with an answer. See this and this other threads, for example...

You simply need to install the proper 32bits libraries (the installer is also a 32bits application, that needs 32bits fonts rendering libraries, among others).

2014-04-24 22:55:01
Profile WWW

Thank M. Beauchamps to have taken the time to reply and direct me.
Its true that I should have realise that the installer proposed is for linux is x86 as indicated in the name. Therefor for 32 bytes machine. (CoolVLViewer-1.26.8.26-Linux-x86-Setup)

I appreciate the support you are providing for older machine on this race for newest and greatest. Thanks for your great work.

for reference: http://askubuntu.com/tags/64-bit/new
To run 32bit executable file in a 64 bit multi-arch Ubuntu system, you have to add i386 architecture and install libc6:i386,libncurses5:i386,libstdc++6:i386 these three library packages.
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386
sudo ./adb

Hope it helps

GiMiSa

2014-04-25 15:23:25

I regrouped the existing threads under this one, in the hope no one will ask again the same thing over and over.

2014-04-25 18:36:02
Profile WWW

Attempting to install (run) CoolVLViewer-1.26.12.5-Linux-x86-Setup on Ubuntu 13.10 (saucy) with Xfce 4.10,
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-62 (64 bit).
Error message:
invalid command name "bind"
while executing
"::unknown bind Text <Tab>"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel 1 $next $args"
(procedure "::obj::Unknown" line 3)
invoked from within
"bind Text <Tab>"
(procedure "::InstallJammer::InitializeGui" line 19)
invoked from within
"::InstallJammer::InitializeGui "
(procedure "::InstallJammer::InitInstall" line 68)
invoked from within
"::InstallJammer::InitInstall"
(file "/installkitvfs/main.tcl" line 31769)

#file CoolVLViewer-1.26.12.5-Linux-x86-Setup
gets
CoolVLViewer-1.26.12.5-Linux-x86-Setup: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped

Could not find more appropriate installer on website (AMD 64-bit).

Are there some special dependencies?

2014-07-04 03:15:02

You could have searched this forum instead of asking again the same thing... The answer is in this thread. EDIT: Topic merged with the relevant, existing thread.

2014-07-04 05:48:52
Profile WWW

Henri, I did search the forum and found no topic that coverd the 64-bit linux and "bind" problem. It seems something is not good with the search function.
I eventually looked for *my* posts, as my post in BUGS had also vanished, and then found this thread.

That there are so many posts about this problem indicates that it will be posted again and again. Machines have moved on from 32-bit to 64-bit, from Intel to AMD, and linux has (sadly) moved on to newer kernels.
I suggest that you put a disclaimer on the Linux Download link area that 64-bit and Ubuntu >10 is unsupported, users must research how to make their system compatible with old 32-bit installers. This will save a lot of time and frustration for would-be users.

I have no idea how to make Cool VL work on my Ubuntu13 system. I have installed all suggested 32-bit library stuff.
NOTE the following message from apt-get:

Package ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0

Of course I have installed the suggested replacements.
I still get the
invalid command name "bind"
error. Web serch for cure to that only yields more people with the same option.

2014-07-07 22:08:07

KittoFlora wrote:
Henri, I did search the forum and found no topic that coverd the 64-bit linux and "bind" problem.
There is no "bind" problem: there's just a missing 32 bits library on your system causing the Tcl/Tk script to stop due to a failed command requiring that 32 bits library (most likely a font rendering-related library, such as libfontconfig or libfreetype).

Quote:
It seems something is not good with the search function.
The search function of this forum works just fine.

Quote:
I eventually looked for *my* posts, as my post in BUGS had also vanished, and then found this thread.
If you come back 3 days later, it's no surprise that, not seeing any reply from you to my post, I finally merged the topic with the one to which it belongs to.

Quote:
That there are so many posts about this problem indicates that it will be posted again and again. Machines have moved on from 32-bit to 64-bit, from Intel to AMD, and linux has (sadly) moved on to newer kernels.
I suggest that you put a disclaimer on the Linux Download link area that 64-bit and Ubuntu >10 is unsupported, users must research how to make their system compatible with old 32-bit installers.
There is no incompatibility with any Linux distribution. It's simply a matter of properly configuring your system and installing the proper 32bits libraries.

Quote:
This will save a lot of time and frustration for would-be users.
Do you really think I care the least about your (exaggerated) feeling of frustration ?... Just grow up and behave as an adult, please ! As for saving your time, I'd rather save mine and not have to waste it dealing with temper tantrums from some users who expect I provide them with unlimited support like if they had paid for the software... It's GPL: please reread chapter 11 of that license.

Quote:
I have no idea how to make Cool VL work on my Ubuntu13 system. I have installed all suggested 32-bit library stuff.
NOTE the following message from apt-get:

Package ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0

Of course I have installed the suggested replacements.
You should better read this thread and, for example, this post.

2014-07-09 12:01:10
Profile WWW

Hi. Just fyi, I'm getting the same bind error as listed above. I'm using 64 bit ubuntu trusty. I followed all instructions listed, installed libraries, and additionally installed libfontconfig. I tried to install libfreetype, but it said it doesn't exist.

So for me, I'm giving up on CoolVL, and am going to try Kokua.

But I just wanted to let you know before I go, wherever the problem is, no adequate fix has been listed in this thread. I have spent the last hour working on it, installing, re-installing, updating, doing web searches, etc., and still nothing.

2016-01-06 09:01:58

hindemith wrote:
Hi. Just fyi, I'm getting the same bind error as listed above. I'm using 64 bit ubuntu trusty. I followed all instructions listed, installed libraries, and additionally installed libfontconfig. I tried to install libfreetype, but it said it doesn't exist.

So for me, I'm giving up on CoolVL, and am going to try Kokua.

But I just wanted to let you know before I go, wherever the problem is, no adequate fix has been listed in this thread. I have spent the last hour working on it, installing, re-installing, updating, doing web searches, etc., and still nothing.

You did not search very hard: a simple (and single) web search yields this result, in first place: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libfreetype

As for an "adequate fix", there is none because there is nothing at all to fix !... The installer and the viewer both work just fine under any distribution capable of running any 32 bits viewer. All you have to do is to ensure that the corresponding libraries, as listed in this thread, are installed on your system. I cannot provide you (or anyone else) with a method to do this because there is a gazillion of different Linux distributions, with different package naming conventions, different packaging systems (rpm, deb, tarballs, and even more obscure/singular ones, such as "portage" under Gentoo), etc...

2016-01-06 15:48:26
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next