Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 10:19:48

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Media does not play sound. 

The feature I love most of Cool VL Viewer is the media control, When watching movies on SL it lets me pause and resume, skip scenes or 'rewind'.

THE PROBLEM I seem to have is with the sound, streams work perfectly (when they're working) every other sound works fine, but unless I reinstall the viewer every time I want to watch a movie, the sound just stops entirely after the second time. This goes for Youtube videos, movies, anything under the 'media' sound category, while the sound will work on any other viewer I use to watch the same media. I am on Windows 7 64 bit. This doesn't cause a crash, just a severe annoyance.

I recently had reinstalled to the latest version of the Viewer because of this same issue happening months ago, though the last time it happened it took several days of getting quieter and quieter before silence, so perhaps it is 'playing' but the internal volume control is fubar so I can't hear anything, I keep media volume on max and have tried turning my computer volume, and SL volume and SL plugin volume to max in the mixer, nothing helps....

2014-06-02 22:50:24

rawrtasm wrote:
The feature I love most of Cool VL Viewer is the media control, When watching movies on SL it lets me pause and resume, skip scenes or 'rewind'.

THE PROBLEM I seem to have is with the sound, streams work perfectly (when they're working) every other sound works fine, but unless I reinstall the viewer every time I want to watch a movie, the sound just stops entirely after the second time.
What do you mean by "the second time" ?... The second time you play a movie, the second time you log in, the second time you see the same movie on the same parcel, the second time you drink a coffee ?... err... perhaps not that last one, but frankly, pretty please, be more accurate when reporting an issue !!!

Quote:
This goes for Youtube videos, movies, anything under the 'media' sound category, while the sound will work on any other viewer I use to watch the same media. I am on Windows 7 64 bit. This doesn't cause a crash, just a severe annoyance.

I recently had reinstalled to the latest version of the Viewer because of this same issue happening months ago, though the last time it happened it took several days of getting quieter and quieter before silence, so perhaps it is 'playing' but the internal volume control is fubar so I can't hear anything, I keep media volume on max and have tried turning my computer volume, and SL volume and SL plugin volume to max in the mixer, nothing helps....
I cannot reproduce any similar issue here (tested both under Linux and Windows 7 64bits). I doubt very much it's anything related with a viewer bug (especially if everything works fine at first but only degrades over time) but I can't diagnose properly an issue if you don't give the required info (see the rules for this forum, please, and do follow them to the letter !): in particular, I need the viewer logs and reliable reproduction steps for your issue (describe *exactly* what you are doing, and give at least one pointer/location for a media that fails to play properly for you).

You should also verify that:
  • You got QuickTime (or QuickTime Alternative) installed on your system.
  • The QuickTime configuration won't itself explain your issue. Example of such a configuration, in Peripherals/Sound/Communications (see the screenshot bellow... in French, sorry...), that could possibly produce similar effects to what you describe and anything else than "Ne rien faire" = "Do nothing" would result in muted/lowered sounds when QuickTime "detects" a "call" (phone/Skype/MSN are probably all considered "calls"):

Attachments:
QuickTimeConfig.png
QuickTimeConfig.png [ 12.34 KiB | Viewed 3188 times ]
2014-06-03 08:42:50
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
What do you mean by "the second time" ?... The second time you play a movie, the second time you log in, the second time you see the same movie on the same parcel, the second time you drink a coffee ?... err... perhaps not that last one, but frankly, pretty please, be more accurate when reporting an issue !!!
With this version it was after the second time I had watched a movie, I had managed to watch two this time. Though I only watched one per login.

Quote:
I cannot reproduce any similar issue here (tested both under Linux and Windows 7 64bits). I doubt very much it's anything related with a viewer bug (especially if everything works fine at first but only degrades over time) but I can't diagnose properly an issue if you don't give the required info (see the rules for this forum, please, and do follow them to the letter !): in particular, I need the viewer logs and reliable reproduction steps for your issue (describe *exactly* what you are doing, and give at least one pointer/location for a media that fails to play properly for you).

Second Cinema Movie Theater is the place I most often find the problem, as I enjoy movies there, but it really happens any and everywhere.

I do have quicktime installed, I cannot attach the log and dmp, it says the dmp is not an accepted filetype and they are both too big, even too big zipped

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz (2294.82 MHz)
Memory: 8050 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Memory manager: OS native
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.0010.2712
OpenGL Version: 4.3.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.34
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Packets Lost: 102/1140164 (0.0%)

Built with MSVC version 1600

Compile flags used for this build:
/O2 /Oi /MD /MP /DNDEBUG /D_SECURE_SCL=0 /D_HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING=0 /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /GR /EHsc /Oy- /GS /arch:SSE2 /fp:fast /TP /W2 /Zc:forScope /Zc:wchar_t- /c /nologo /DLL_WINDOWS=1 /DDOM_DYNAMIC /DUNICODE /D_UNICODE /DWINVER=0x0501 /D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0501 /DLL_PRIVATE_MEMORY_POOLS=1 /DLL_VB_MEM_POOL=1 /DLL_VOLUME_MEM_POOL=1 /DLL_USE_OLDFILESTREAMS=1 /DLL_COMMON_LINK_SHARED=1 /DCARES_STATICLIB /DLIB_NDOF=1

2014-06-04 01:14:32

rawrtasm wrote:
.../...
Quote:
I need the viewer logs
I cannot attach the log and dmp, it says the dmp is not an accepted filetype and they are both too big, even too big zipped
What is written in the rules ?... You MUST always provide the logs (and no, it's IMPOSSIBLE that the logs for a short testing session won't fit the allotted quota for a file on this forum once zipped): you said yourself that there was no crash and the rules make it clear that you only need to provide a dump file for crashes (there won't be a dump file for the corresponding session if there is no crash anyway), so you don't need to/you can't provide a crash dump for this case !

AGAIN: PROVIDE THE LOG !

Quote:
Quote:
and reliable reproduction steps for your issue (describe *exactly* what you are doing, and give at least one pointer/location for a media that fails to play properly for you).
Second Cinema Movie Theater is the place I most often find the problem, as I enjoy movies there, but it really happens any and everywhere.
Provide me with EXACT reproduction steps: an SLURL (i.e. the exact location for the place in SL you see it happening: sim name and position, please !), and an exact movie title and playing device at that location.

2014-06-04 07:53:12
Profile WWW

There is the log.

Attachments:
CoolVLViewer media no sound.zip [43.17 KiB]
Downloaded 215 times
2014-06-04 15:31:14

I cannot reproduce the issue here: the movie you indicated in PM (how HARD would have it been to provide a X/Y location ?... Mind you, the more time I spend searching for the place where you encountered the problem, the less time I can spend testing...) is playing fine for me under Windows 7 64bits.

This particular movie sound is nonetheless quite low, so you will need to max out all the sound volume sliders (both in the viewer and in Windows).

However, I found out that for this "*.mov" stream QuickTime did affect the sound output to the "Default Communications Device" instead of the "normal" device, and that communication device was affected by default to the Headphones instead of the Speakers (for the normal device). In the sound configuration, you might therefore have to right-click on the Speakers and "Set as Default Communications Device", like this:
Attachment:
Configuration1.png
Configuration1.png [ 16.63 KiB | Viewed 3156 times ]

Since it is confirmed that the "Communication device" is used for the sound playback by QuickTime, do make extra-sure that the Communications configuration is as follow (like I explained in my first message, not doing it might lead in sound loss/heavy reducing when an incoming MSN message or Skype call happens):
Attachment:
Configuration2.png
Configuration2.png [ 7.78 KiB | Viewed 3156 times ]

In the Mixer controls (right click on the sound icon in the task bar and choose "Open Mixer Controls" to get them), also make sure that the sliders for the Cool VL Viewer and SLPlugin.exe are maxed out, like so:
Attachment:
Controls.png
Controls.png [ 28.17 KiB | Viewed 3156 times ]

In any case, the issue you encounter is in no way a viewer bug. It's solely a problem with your system's configuration.

2014-06-05 21:15:34
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]