Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-16 05:31:07

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
DV C communications 

I am in a theatre group and we recently began using the DV C chat system and it seems in Firefox, the /9 suffex can be placed in the Channel option in preference but I cant find that or something similar. Can anyone help ?
Thank you for reading this and hopefully, will be able to tell me what I need to do.
Regards

2014-09-03 14:19:02

I'm afraid I don't have a single clue of what you are speaking about... Care to elaborate (and give precise repro steps and expectations) ?

2014-09-03 14:30:33
Profile WWW

Firestorm was meant, not Firefox.

In FS you can switch to a different chat channel number, to chat in channel 9, for example, instead of the default channel 0.
DVC is a scripted tool that uses this channel for communication. So if you chat at channel 9, you can talk to the DVC tool.

Apparently in Cool VL Viewer you can't set the channel the entered text shall go to neither you can see it. I think both directions would be required.

2014-09-06 19:21:33

Tillie wrote:
Firestorm was meant, not Firefox.

In FS you can switch to a different chat channel number, to chat in channel 9, for example, instead of the default channel 0.
DVC is a scripted tool that uses this channel for communication. So if you chat at channel 9, you can talk to the DVC tool.

Apparently in Cool VL Viewer you can't set the channel the entered text shall go to neither you can see it. I think both directions would be required.

The answer is:
/9whatever you want to say

Just like in any other viewer... and you can't see what is "said" on private channels in chat, unless you use a script to relay the text. The viewers are not sent by the sim servers any text emitted on private channels, but only the text on channel 0 (main chat).

2014-09-06 20:49:46
Profile WWW

Yah. True.

I guess she wants to get around the occasional 'false typing'... the DVC is used in fashion events and stuff, and I guess it would be just helpful to the models and the backstage manager if they could switch to channel 9 for so no typed text goes to chat by mistyping. During events you often see something like

Quote:
(9 skirt not rezzing, halp!

That's no good to appear during a show. :P Replies come back from DVC HUD via OwnerSay() anyway, so I guess just the 'type to a different channel than 0 by default' would be the only thing they really need. :-) I think that's how it works in Firestorm.

Or someone should make a new DVC version using the llTextBox() command so you can type your chat stuff there. But I guess that is not going to happen.

2014-09-08 05:28:40

Tillie wrote:
Yah. True.

I guess she wants to get around the occasional 'false typing'...
.../...
so I guess just the 'type to a different channel than 0 by default' would be the only thing they really need. :-) I think that's how it works in Firestorm.
I don't see what improvement it would bring: mistyping issues would be replaced with miss-selection issues in the chat channel.... It's also slower to have to select with the mouse another channel before typing the text instead of just typing two more characters... Plus, I personally hate code and UI bloat, which is what this "feature" is...

2014-09-08 07:32:29
Profile WWW

Tillie wrote:
Yah. True.

I guess she wants to get around the occasional 'false typing'... the DVC is used in fashion events and stuff, and I guess it would be just helpful to the models and the backstage manager if they could switch to channel 9 for so no typed text goes to chat by mistyping.

That is trivial to do with an LSL script and RLV enabled. I'd be glad to provide such a script if someone wants it (IM me in SL or here). You'll have to enable RLV, for it to work, though.

2014-09-14 01:11:05

Quote:
That is trivial to do with an LSL script and RLV enabled. I'd be glad to provide such a script if someone wants it (IM me in SL or here). You'll have to enable RLV, for it to work, though.

I guess that might do. :)

2014-09-19 14:52:22
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]