Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-18 00:40:33

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Teleport History - Is there a maximum size? 

Yesterday, while running 1.26.12.24.1 (the first Mac release from Catten including jemalloc), I suffered a crash. After logging back in, I found my Teleport History had been wiped. That is not a big deal, because I back up regularly and I can restore the file, but this affair made me wonder if there was a maximum size for the teleport history, and whether it was a good idea to restore my old 22.4MB history file dating back to January 2012. :oops:

Edit: I just noticed that there were 13,458 arrival/departure "records" in the .XML file.

2014-12-15 01:01:00

There is no hard-coded limit to the number of records, beside the signed 32 bits variables used to hold the indexes (so it is theoretically possible to hold up to 2^31 records, which is over 2 billions) and you'd run out of 32 bits memory space before the indexes would overflow...

However, the larger the list and the harder it is for the C++ library to find available memory space to allocate during operations involving copying or duplicating temporarily the list (to sort it, for example), so very large lists could definitely cause crashes when dealt with during a long viewer session with most of the 32 bits memory address space allocated and/or fragmented.

The viewer can catch some of the memory allocation failures occurring in places where it expects that things may go wrong (when allocating memory for a new texture, for example), but it can't check for allocation failures happening within the standard C++ library calls used to manage lists... This may well be the cause for the crash you encountered, and yes, making a backup of your old teleport history and starting afresh when it gets very large is a good idea...

2014-12-15 09:38:06
Profile WWW

Thank you for your advice, Henri.

I've been taking a look through teleport_history.xml. I'm not experienced with handling .xml files, but I might look at writing a Perl script or something to prune entries older than a date threshold.

2014-12-15 22:01:41
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]