Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-19 00:34:54

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
New Object Caching in 1.26.12 

I'm still using 1.26.8, mostly because the new object caching in 1.26.12 has never worked well for me. So now that 1.26.8 is feature-frozen and going to be deprecated, I wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something. If I could make the new object caching in 1.26.12 work better then I would be able to switch.

When I turn my camera view in 1.26.12, everything that is now behind me gets unloaded. Then when I turn back to where I was looking before, I have to wait for everything to slowly rebuild itself. It seems like it rebuilds much slower from turning around than when things are loaded after teleporting from another sim. It makes it impossible to do anything in SL that involves changing the camera view, which is pretty much everything. So I have to believe that it's not supposed to work like that, because surely that situation would be unusable for anyone, but I have no idea how to make it work better for me. It works like that whenever I try 1.26.12, while it works normally after going back to 1.26.8. I really like Cool VL Viewer more than anything else, and want to keep using the latest version, so I have to ask: does the new object caching in 1.26.12 actually provide a usable environment for anyone? It's not supposed to work like I described, right? My cache size is set to the maximum of 1000 MB, and it's on a RAM drive. Is there anything I can try to make 1.26.12 work better?

Info from About window:
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor (2809.45 MHz)
Memory: 15487 MB
OS version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Memory manager: OS native
Graphics card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series
Windows graphics driver version: 8.17.0010.1280
OpenGL version: 4.2.12874 Compatibility Profile Context 14.100.0.0

2015-03-19 09:08:43

Without proper logs, it is impossible to know exactly what is going on.

Note that it is normal, and the expected behaviour, that the objects not in your camera's field of view get unloaded after some time, based on their distance to the camera, their size, etc. This helps the latest viewers to tone down their memory usage. The Cool VL Viewer also modulates further the object retention based on its actual memory usage (the more memory is used and the less is available, the faster it discards the objects and the more the closer objects also get discarded proportionally). The relevant settings that you could play with to change the rate and amount of discarded objects are these:

• SceneLoadMinRadius: in meters, all objects (visible or invisible) within this radius will remain loaded in memory. Defaults to 32m and the minimum between that setting value and the draw distance is used as the actual minimum radius. The Cool VL Viewer adjusts the objects "scene contribution" when memory gets low (dividing it by up to 4 in low memory condition), thus effectively reducing the weight of this setting by the same amount.
  • SceneLoadFrontPixelThreshold/SceneLoadRearPixelThreshold: in pixels, all objects out of view frustum whose screen area is greater than this threshold will remain loaded. Defaults to 400 pixels for both. The Cool VL Viewer adjust the rear objects "scene contribution" when memory gets low (dividing it by up to 4 in low memory condition), thus effectively reducing the weight of the SceneLoadRearPixelThreshold setting by the same amount.
  • SceneLoadRearMaxRadiusFraction: a percentage of draw distance beyond which all objects outside of view frustum will be unloaded, regardless of pixel threshold. Defaults to 75%.
  • NonVisibleObjectsInMemoryTime: Number of seconds non-visible objects stay in memory before being removed. 0 means never to remove. Defaults to 30s and is dynamically adjusted (reduced) by the Cool VL Viewer when the available memory gets low (can go down to 5s with the 30s default setting, when the memory is almost exhausted).
  • NewObjectCreationThrottle: Maximum number of new objects created per frame (this governs the upper limit for the rate at which objects are re-rezzed when they come back in view). Defaults to 200, -1 to disable this throttle.

Please note that if you alter these settings to keep more objects rezzed, you will cause the viewer to consume more memory and perhaps to hit the addressable virtual space limit...

2015-03-19 14:33:50
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]