Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 09:06:54

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Snowglobe elements missing therefore cannot use SL voice 

On trying to upgrade to the latest version of Cool VL Viewer (CoolVLViewer-1.26.14.0-Windows-Setup.exe) the extraction of elements from the Snowglobe archive isn't working right and I am receiving an error message to say that some components could not be installed. Tried on several occasions incase it was simply the Linden Labs site playing up, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Tilly

Attachments:
Missing components 300x237.PNG
Missing components 300x237.PNG [ 58.44 KiB | Viewed 4048 times ]
2015-07-18 08:12:04

You give very little details... Precise reproduction steps would be needed to diagnose the issue (which I could not reproduce here).

Do you already have the Snowglobe archive on disk ?
If yes, check it was not corrupted in some way (in doubt, erase it to trigger a fresh download from the installer).

Did you point the installer's download directory (from the "Snowglobe archive location" pane, see the screen shots in this FAQ) to some directory you actually get read/write permissions for ?

If you have the archive and it is not corrupted, or if the archive just got downloaded by the installer and it still does not work, then, maybe (just maybe, since that's the only thing I could imagine so far) there could be a race condition, just when the download finishes and the installer tests for the downloaded file existence (i.e. for a download success), because while it is being downloaded, the file will be named some_random_string.part, and only gets renamed to its actual name once the download is successful (so, if the rename is done on one CPU core/thread while the installer checks for the final name on another core/thread, things could get messy...).

I just created a second installer, with a 2s pause added after the download. If you still experience problems after checking the above, please give a try to that installer.

If all these fail, download the Snowglobe archive from LL's site, and place it in a directory (with proper read/write permissions) where you will point the Cool VL Viewer installer to.

EDIT: I almost forgot... In the things to check for, be sure that the installer is not blocked by your firewall when it tries to download the Snowglobe archive from LL's site...

2015-07-18 13:10:55
Profile WWW

Hiya

I was running the installer and letting the installer download the Snowglobe archive to extract the components - it had always worked fine for previous versions of Cool VL Viewer :-(

Following your suggestions, I first tried downloading Snowglobe and pointing the installer to that - no joy - same result ... missing components.

However, your alternative installer with the delay worked perfectly for me - ty so much (hug). I am so relieved to be able to continue using my favourite viewer.

Tilly

2015-07-18 15:50:25

Tilly-Floss wrote:
I was running the installer and letting the installer download the Snowglobe archive to extract the components - it had always worked fine for previous versions of Cool VL Viewer :-(
There has been no change whatsoever with how the installer works in many many months (i.e. years)...

Quote:
Following your suggestions, I first tried downloading Snowglobe and pointing the installer to that - no joy - same result ... missing components.
However, your alternative installer with the delay worked perfectly for me - ty so much (hug).
Probably a race condition due to an interaction between one of the recent Windoze updates (since you didn't encounter this issue in the past) and your particular system/hardware...

I'll keep the delay trick for future releases.

2015-07-18 16:48:53
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]