Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-16 18:16:59

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Howto use the AWSD keys instead of arrow keys 

Hi,

I hope someone helps me ..

I am used to firestorm where I can use the AWSD keys for steering/moving instead of the arrow keys.

Question:
- How can I accomplish this in the Cool VL Viewer 1.26.14 (3) Aug 8 2015 11:08:57 (Cool VL Viewer) where can I set these settings so I use the AWSD keys instead of arrow keys.

2015-08-13 14:23:27

The Cool VL Viewer is not Firestorm... Only the mouse, a joystick or the cursor keys (including those on the numeric keypad, once NumLock is off) may be used to move the avatar around.

2015-08-13 15:41:31
Profile WWW

Ok thanks for your answer. I realize Cool Vl Viewer is not Firestorm. But I love to drive with aswd.

Anyway Thanks

2015-08-13 15:45:47

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
The Cool VL Viewer is not Firestorm... Only the mouse, a joystick or the cursor keys (including those on the numeric keypad, once NumLock is off) may be used to move the avatar around.

Um...

I know you know this viewer better than anyone, but you missed this one, Henri.

I use awsd all the time to move, being a mouse pointer girl myself. Just make sure the cursor isn't in a text entry field like the chat bar, and they work fine. If they're is a text entry field available, then they type a, s, d, and f, of course.

"a" and "d" turn left and right; "w" and "s" move forward and back; "A" and "D" (shifted) move left and right.

Yup, just checked. Still works on: Cool VL Viewer 1.26.15 (3) Aug 15 2015 09:57:56 (Cool VL Viewer).

Oh, and, of course, the movement floater still works fine too.

2015-08-16 01:57:34

Ibrew Meads wrote:
I know you know this viewer better than anyone, but you missed this one, Henri.
Well, being a role-player, I always have the chat bar open and grabbing all entered text by default, so no, it's not a surprise... I also assumed that the reporter already tried hard to make it work, so I didn't even bother to give it a closer look...

Quote:
"a" and "d" turn left and right; "w" and "s" move forward and back; "A" and "D" (shifted) move left and right.
Since I'm also French and therefore using an AZERTY keyboard, the WASD keys are totally out of place and thus, perfectly useless... It's a QWERTY-thing, and anyway, with the cursor keys present on any modern keyboard, I fail to see a single practical use for those keys (they were only useful in the early 80's, when computers didn't have independent cursor keys neither a numeric keypad)...

2015-08-16 08:38:17
Profile WWW

Quote:
Quote:
Since I'm also French and therefore using an AZERTY keyboard, the WASD keys are totally out of place and thus, perfectly useless... It's a QWERTY-thing, and anyway, with the cursor keys present on any modern keyboard, I fail to see a single practical use for those keys (they were only useful in the early 80's, when computers didn't have independent cursor keys neither a numeric keypad)...

I'd never considered how it would be configured for non-US keyboards. Thanks for pointing that out. And I use them for two reasons, one is I use an ergonomic, highly sculpted Kinisis keyboard and the arrow keys are on opposite sides of the keyboard. Two because I use a trackball with my right hand for steering so it is much more convenient to use the left hand to move.

Just my personal use case.

Thanks again for all the great work.

2015-08-16 11:54:06

I've always loved the "Close chat bar after hitting return" option since the beginning. With the chat bar closed, you can use other letters as well. E is jump like Page Up, C is crouch like Page Down, and F is fly like Home. Those letter controls can be especially great for people using laptops.

2015-09-01 13:17:27
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]