Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-23 20:28:33

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Problem with media 

Over the last few days iv'e been unable to view media. I've updated quicktime and the TV but each time I try to watch I get a menu up for an external viewer, which doesn't work. Until now I've been able to view media in world with no problems. I've checked the media settings in preferences and media is allowed. What do I have to do to be able to view in world again?

2015-09-16 23:00:52

There has been no change in the media code in the release branch for many, many months. So, if something that used to work stopped working a few days ago, it's either an issue with your system (did you update the OS or one of its media-related components ?), or with the media source; of course, without a log, I can't tell for sure what issue you are encountering and where it comes from...

You shall expect many sources to switch from Quicktime and Flash to HTML5 (this is already the case for Youtube & Co) since the latter two standards are utterly deprecated, the problem being that the current release viewers (all of them) cannot deal with HTML5 (because they rely on an old, non-HTML5-aware version of QtWebkit).

This is why LL started to develop the CEF3 plugin, which the experimental branch of the Cool VL Viewer already implements as well. See this thread for details. Note also that the CEF3 plugin will NOT support Flash neither Quicktime and that all scripted TV makers will have to switch to pure HTML5 sources if they want their product to keep working with future viewers (but this will also break their product on current viewers, so do expect quite some ruckus in the coming weeks/months: for this reason, the Cool VL Viewer will keep both the old QtWebkit-based plugin and the new CEF3-based one for a while).

2015-09-17 10:24:39
Profile WWW

Thanks for the reply Henri. Most of it went over my head but i've not changed anything myself in the last few days. I have no idea how to get a log or where to look for one but I can if you tell me where to look. I tried Singularity too - same problem. I guess I'll have to keep trying

2015-09-17 15:55:56

OK so I installed the official viewer to try and that works fine. I can use the TV the same as I always have.

2015-09-17 17:40:18

CullyAndel wrote:
Thanks for the reply Henri. Most of it went over my head but i've not changed anything myself in the last few days. I have no idea how to get a log or where to look for one but I can if you tell me where to look.
Just a matter of reading the bug reporting instructions and following the link given there...

Quote:
I tried Singularity too - same problem. I guess I'll have to keep trying
.../...
OK so I installed the official viewer to try and that works fine. I can use the TV the same as I always have.
If it works with one viewer and not the other, check that your firewall or an over-zealous anti-virus is not blocking one of the components (viewer binary itself, SLPlugin.exe, media_plugin_*) of the viewer for which things do not work as expected.

2015-09-18 06:33:19
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]