Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-19 09:51:30

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
[SOLVED] Windlight defaults 

I prefer a much brighter scene in SL, so I created a custom sky configuration in the Advanced Sky Editor and saved it to ~/.secondlife/user_settings/windlight/skies/MySky.xml. Rather than manually load that every time I log on, I copied it to /pub/games/CoolVLViewer/app_settings/windlight/skies/Default.xml.

Still when I log on, I just get whatever the local parcel's light looks like. I have to manually go into World->Environment Settings->Advanced Sky Editor and explicitly load my custom settings before the lighting changes.

And yet... if I completely delete Default.xml from both my personal folder and the public shared folder, logging on takes me to a completely black screen. So the presence of Default.xml does trigger some kind of change to the lighting, but it doesn't actually use my preferences. I looked at the lighting tab (Sun/Moon/Color, Ambient, Sun Glow) right after I logged on vs. after manually loading my preferences, and it appears that it does not load the values set in Default.xml at all.

I don't see any errors regarding Default.xml in the log file. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just not how Default.xml works?

Last edited by SegmentationFault on 2016-06-06 17:39:31, edited 1 time in total.

2016-06-06 16:46:16

In the "Preferences" floater, "Cool features" tab, "Miscellaneous" sub-tab look at the "Sun position at login" and see if it displays "sim time", with the slider on the extreme left (else, the sun position/time of day will be overridden); you may as well set any time fancying you there.

2016-06-06 17:00:45
Profile WWW

Ah. That does solve one mystery: I had some time ago set the default sun position to noon, so whenever I log on it was always showing the sun for that time of day.

That being said, when I reverted the sun position at login value to "sim default" it does indeed show the sim's local sun. Now I wonder how (if at all) Default.xml is used.

I guess for my own purposes I can edit the A-12PM.xml file to use my preferred brightness settings.

Thanks for the quick response!

2016-06-06 17:27:00

Just a followup to confirm: That did the trick. I arbitrarily picked 3AM as my startup sun position, which normally is of course quite dark. I copied my preferred sky settings over A%2D3AM.xml and restarted Cool VL Viewer... and there I am in blindingly bright sunlight.

2016-06-06 17:41:41
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]