Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 07:49:00

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Problem with avatar hover height 

Hi

Several new avatars I've gotten, bird avatars as well as the new TWI Fox, are hovering above ground. I've try editing almost every hover setting I can find, also in the debug setting, but nothing gets me to the ground.

If I edit the shape, I can not move the hover slider further down than 0.5. Is this the reason, or is it something I'm missing.

Best Regards
Karsten

Attachments:
CoolVLViewer.log.zip [16.38 KiB]
Downloaded 233 times
2016-07-18 18:19:41

There's no bug there...

Verify that you got "Character" -> "Advanced" -> "Use Avatar Hover Height" checked. Then you can use the hover spinner in the Movements Controls floater to adjust your avatar "Z offset" further up/down than what the Hover Height visual parameter in the shape allows. Note however that the "Avatar Hover Height" is only temporary (it resets to 0 on TP and on relog).

For constant hover height adjustments, you need to adjust the "Hover Height" visual parameter (it's the last slider in the "Appearance" floater, "Shape" tab, "Body" parameters): you may adjust that parameter from 0 to 100 (50 being the "zero" of the adjustment), but of course only if your avatar is wearing a mod-ok shape.

Other things that may cause your avatar hovering to change are rigged meshes, which usually got a "pelvis offset" that is alas not adjustable (it is determined by the mesh creator, at the moment the mesh is uploaded to SL) and also the RestrainedLove @adjustheight command which, when used by scripted objects (usually to correct animations hovering heights depending on your avatar height), also affects the "Avatar Hover Height" temporary parameter.

All of the above is only valid in SL (AFAIK, neither the "Hover Height" visual parameter nor the "Avatar Hover Height" are implemented in OpenSim). However, the viewer will try to resort to the old way of adjusting the avatar "Z offset" in non-SSB sims: the OpenSim server may honour it... or not.

2016-07-18 19:38:03
Profile WWW

Ah I see now. The reasons I couldn't use the appearance slider is that the avatars are wearing rigged mesh, that makes kinda sense. As you wrote in the other post, this is an odd implementation, being able to adjust two places.

Will it be possible to make it so hover height (under movement controls) sticks after tp and relog, I can see the SL viewer does this, and I tp around quite a bit ;-)

2016-07-18 23:27:56

Catten wrote:
Ah I see now. The reasons I couldn't use the appearance slider is that the avatars are wearing rigged mesh, that makes kinda sense.
You should still be able to change the "Hover Height" visual parameter in the shape, via the Appearance floater. If it's not the case (because the shape is no-mod), simply use "Advanced" -> "Character" -> "Appearance to XML..." to save the shape parameters, then create a new shape, wear it on your avatar, and in the Appearance floater, Shape tab, use the "Import" button to load the XML file you just saved. You should then be able to change the "Hover Height" visual parameter for that new shape (last slider in the "Body" scrolling parameters list).

Quote:
As you wrote in the other post, this is an odd implementation, being able to adjust two places.
This is due to LL's own blunders. First, despite my warnings, they removed the possibility for the viewer to impose (within server-side clamped limits) the avatar size to the server like it could do before SSB happened. Then, to try and correct their blunder, and although, yet again, I warned them it was not the proper solution (since we needed real time adjustments to correct animation hover heights), they implemented the "Hover Height" parameter in the shape (not a real time setting, by far, and not even adjustable for no-mod shapes)... Finally, as they admitted in the end that their "solution" was inadequate, they implemented AHH (Avatar Hover Height), something I described the functioning for them from the very start (i.e. when I discovered the issue with SSB); yet, they again did it the wrong way (the *compatible* solution with pre-SSB sim servers and viewers was to implement an avatar Z *size* delta, and they instead implemented it as a delta for the pelvis height above the floor... I had to find a formula, applying a factor between the size and feet to pelvis height, to get it working in a more or less compatible way with existing RLV scripts that auto-corrected playing animations with @ahjustheight).

Quote:
Will it be possible to make it so hover height (under movement controls) sticks after tp and relog
I'd rather not... Again, AHH is supposed to be used for real time adjustments in order to level animations with the floor (or the seat), not as a way to compensate a constant height delta for a given avatar (especially since when you change the avatar shape/outfit, the height delta also needs to change): for the latter, please use the "Hover Height" visual parameter in the shape.

Quote:
I can see the SL viewer does this
And it should be considered a bug...

Quote:
and I tp around quite a bit ;-)
Alternatively to the *proper* Hover Height shape visual parameter solution, you could use a script in any of your attachments, that would set the AHH automatically for you, via RestrainedLove. Simple (and crude) example:
Code:
integer adjustment_in_centimeters=-10;

SetAvatarHoverHeight() {
    llOwnerSay("@adjustheight:" + (string)adjustment_in_centimeters + "=force");
}

default {
    state_entry() {
        SetAvatarHoverHeight();
    }

on_rez(integer param) {
        SetAvatarHoverHeight();
    }

changed(integer change) {
        if (change & CHANGED_TELEPORT) {
            SetAvatarHoverHeight();
        }
    }
}

2016-07-19 08:09:56
Profile WWW

The script is a good solution, I haven't been keeping up, so it's nice to know you can do.

As for the shape, it is modify, however I can not edite the slider down below 50. I've made a short video, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

http://cattencarter.com/avatarhoverheight.m4v

2016-07-19 16:31:56

Catten wrote:
As for the shape, it is modify, however I can not edite the slider down below 50. I've made a short video, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
Yes, you did it all wrong... Citing myself (my first reply above):
Henri wrote:
Verify that you got "Character" -> "Advanced" -> "Use Avatar Hover Height" checked.
"Character" -> "Advanced" -> "Use Avatar Hover Height" controls the UseAvatarHoverHeight setting which therefore must NOT be set to FALSE like you did, else the viewer will use the shape Hover parameter for @adjustheight and that's why changing that parameter from the Appearance floater got no effect at all.

2016-07-19 16:56:24
Profile WWW

Ah then I got it all backwards. I assumed the shape hover height was in appearance (since you edit the shape there).

I tried it the other way around but with the same result

http://cattencarter.com/avatarhover2.m4v

2016-07-19 23:20:17

Catten wrote:
Ah then I got it all backwards. I assumed the shape hover height was in appearance (since you edit the shape there).
Like I explained, there are two "Hover Heights" now: the shape visual parameter (i.e. a "constant" height that the Cool VL Viewer has been using in the past with mod-ok shapes to make @adjustheight work in SSB sims after LL borked it all), and the new "Avatar Hover Height" (AHH) sim capability, used for real-time adjustments (and that the Cool VL Viewer will use for @adjustheight if you got AHH enabled and the sim supports it).

Quote:
I tried it the other way around but with the same result
Apparently, the problem is that your avatar mesh body is already having a large negative pelvis offset (which is set at mesh upload time), causing the addition of that pelvis offset with the shape "Hover Height" (when you make the latter negative by pulling the slider below 50) to pull the pelvis of the avatar under the floor. There is some clamping code in the viewer to prevent that from happening (pelvis below ground was deemed a source of issues with walking animations by LL back when they implemented the clamping): that clamping code was however apparently removed from LL's current release viewer, and I missed the commit that removed it. I will remove the clamping too, which should solve your problem with that specific mesh avatar. In the mean time, just use the script to enforce AHH via @adjustheight on each login/TP...

2016-07-20 07:30:45
Profile WWW

Yep I believe the script to be the better solution as well, I'll make a hud to use with the different avatars.

2016-07-20 11:48:22

I just checked the hover change in 1.26.18.16 and there is something odd I think.

While I can now lower the avatar to below 50 in the shape parameter, the shape parameter doesn't stick after relog, but resets back to 50. Now the shape is an asset, so that shouldn't change on its own upon relog no?

2016-07-25 09:54:00
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next