Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 06:58:55

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Calling Cards 

Feel free to move this if required*

ok Lately I've been finding more and more stores, groups, etc. REQUIRING you to drag your calling card to notecard for this or that. Why? Don't make sense to me... But anyway,
I can't drag calling cards at all.. I've tried everything I can think of... Any ideas or is this something that needs to be coded into Cool LV? I really really want to...................these people who decide they can't be bothered with the old fashioned search for legacy names anymore and need all this hassle...

2017-08-01 04:48:55

Well, in v2+ viewers LL changed how calling cards are dealt with...
In v1 viewers (and the oldest v2 ones), they used to be created only when you were giving one away (with the avatar pie menu corresponding action), or on befriending someone (they then automatically receive a calling card from you in their inventory). I.e. you could not see any calling card from yourself in your own inventory, and therefore the note cards were coded to refuse dropped calling cards...

In newer viewers, fake (*) calling cards from your friends get recreated on login when missing (that's right, LL doesn't let you a choice on how to manage your friends and imposes that you get your inventory cluttered with a calling card for each friend, even when you don't use any such card but prefer to use the Friends list) and a genuine calling card for yourself also gets created in the "Calling cards" folder of your inventory...

I modified the Cool VL Viewer for next release, and it now allows to embed calling cards in note cards. It also got a "New calling card" entry added for the context menu of the "Calling cards" inventory folder, so that you can create a (genuine) calling card for your own avatar in your inventory.

(*) Fake, because, for calling cards, the creator of the inventory item should correspond to the avatar the calling card points to (i.e. a genuine calling card can only be created by the avatar the calling card points to), and calling cards recreated in LL's viewer way get yourself as the creator, meaning LL had to use the calling card item description to store the pointed avatar UUID instead of relying on the calling card creator UUID... These fake calling cards do not allow to perform some actions, such as opening IM sessions, unlike genuine calling cards.

2017-08-01 14:49:24
Profile WWW

TY again for your wonderful assistance, much appreciated...

2017-08-01 22:02:48

Forgive me for reviving such an old thread, but I've ran across something similar. I've gotten calling cards made in other people's Firestorm that, when double clicked, show me the profile nor of the person on the card neither mine, but the sender's. Not all of them do that, though, but the ones who do indeed show the UUID of the person on the card on the description. (I can send you examples inworld, if that helps in anything.)

Apparently, since LL allowed to changed one's legacy name (for money!), old calling cards have found a use suddenly: One can open an old calling card and find the person's new name.

2024-01-18 18:45:46

g0rd0ngrfr33mailgr wrote:
I've gotten calling cards made in other people's Firestorm that, when double clicked, show me the profile nor of the person on the card neither mine, but the sender's.
:roll:

I changed the logic for next release... Instead of using the creator UUID field in priority for calling cards not created by you, it will now use the description when not empty (corresponding to v2 calling cards, including those that someone could pass to you on behalf of someone else), and if empty, the creator UUID (which would correspond to v1-type, genuine cards, as well as cards which used to be auto-created by the server when befriending someone, a feature that got removed one year ago or so now).

Note that the v2+ calling cards are "unsafe", since the creator can change their description for anything they fancy, causing them to point at another resident than the one they are named after...

2024-01-18 21:22:54
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Note that the v2+ calling cards are "unsafe", since the creator can change their description for anything they fancy, causing them to point at another resident than the one they are named after...

That's a very fair point! Always check the description, then. Thanks, Henri, you're amazing <3

2024-01-18 21:52:26
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]