Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 20:49:56

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Problem with "lumpy" mesh body 

I have a friend that is using Cool (as am I) and she is seeing her mesh body as "lumpy" although others (and I) see her fine. I suspect it has to do with "hardware skinning" being off but she can't turn it on (its greyed out). Is there a way to get that to turn on?

She is on the latest version 1.26.22.5

2018-05-22 17:59:43

Please, define "lumpy" !

No, seriously, short of a proper report, with at the very least a screen shot, it's impossible for me to guess what is "wrong". As for the graphics options, here again, without knowing what is enabled or not (shaders, etc) and without a log, I cannot tell whether your friend simply forgot to check another check box in the graphics settings or is limited by their hardware.

2018-05-22 22:58:37
Profile WWW

I will have her send me a screen shot next time I see her. But the best I can describe is the elbows go to a sharp point like a cone) and there are extra protrusions around upper part of the breasts where there shouldn't be. Also around the shoulders. No problems with mesh clothes though, which is odd.

As for settings that I can do.

Shaders:
Bump mapping and shiny-checked
Basic shaders- checked
Atmospheric Shaders- checked
local lights-checked

advanced lighting -unchecked and greyed out

transparent water -unchecked
water reflections -unchecked

hardware skinning shader -unchecked and greyed out
avatar cloth hader -unchecked and greyed out

GPU:
Anistroipc filters -checked
anialaising 2x (but she has tried up to 16 and no change)
vertex buffer objects -checked -stream VBO -checked
Occlusion -checked
texture memory not sure I think 712
compress textures -unchecked
gama 0.0 and greyed out

we tried all of these on and off. It did not made a difference either in allowing the enabling the hardware skinning shader or fixing what she is seeing. She told me a while back she COULD turn on hardware skinning and avatar cloth, but at one point she noticed it was disabled. She doesn't remember exactly when that was. I will see what more I can find out.

2018-05-23 00:53:43

The log file will tell what is missing for disabled shaders. If it used to work, it is probably a graphics driver issue (after a driver "update", for example)... Or a dual GPU (external GPU + iGPU) configuration with the wrong GPU being picked up due to a bad OS configuration ?

As for avatar geometry, it is probably a LOD issue: push the slider to the right for the "Avatars" under "Mesh details" ("mesh" here, does not refer to "SL mesh" objects, but to any object 3D-mesh).

2018-05-23 08:21:21
Profile WWW

I will try to get a log file. I did ask about graphics drivers and she hasn't updated. It is a few years old laptop and there hasn't been any updates for it. So that is not what changed. And not a dual GPU issue.

She did try sliding all the sliders to max, didn't make a difference.

I got a snapshot (see attached). It happens at all the joints but is most visible at elbows and knees.

Still trying to get a log file.

It is weird that mesh clothes are ok, only mesh bodies are a problem.

Attachments:
elbow problem.jpg
elbow problem.jpg [ 29.45 KiB | Viewed 2450 times ]
2018-05-23 17:25:45

Well I finally got a few more details about her system. It wasn't a full log file (yet). But hopefully this is enough to give a clue:

She has a Intel Core 2 Duo
vista 64 bit service pack 1 (apparently)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
OpenGL version: 2.1.8306 Release
4 gig ram
It is an older laptop, and it is running the last graphics driver HP put out for this model (first thing I had her check). What is odd is I know people with older laptops in SL and they don't have this issue. Slower rez sure or some features like advanced lighting don't work, but not distortion of mesh bodies.

2018-05-30 16:02:46

DBDigital Epsilon wrote:
OpenGL version: 2.1.8306 Release

Don't search further... OpenGL v2.1 is the absolute minimum for the viewer, and since many things moved to shaders and OpenGL v3+ over time, it is no surprise that the rendering quality is just barely acceptable with OpenGL v2.1 nowadays.

When you use old stuff, you can't pretend getting all the bells and whistles that new stuff offers...

As for the particular distortion seen, it could be specific to the driver (try an older (yes !) one) or the graphics card itself (ATI/AMD is not the best brand for OpenGL compliance).

2018-05-30 18:51:42
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]