Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 06:07:56

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Windows 7 Installation Error 

Hello Henri,

Not sure if this is a bug issue or just something I need to do a complete clean install. So I've been getting an error when installing the new versions of Cool VL on my Windows 7 computer. Everything installs correctly and the viewer seems to be working fine. But during the installation towards the end at the "Building uninstall" I get an Error in action ExecuteAction and Error in action InstallUninstaller. Screenshots and error log attached. I clicked on skip and then had to cancel the installation. Windows then asked if the installation was successful for not, I say yes.

Code:
Cool VL Viewer v1.26.22.16, 64 bits, Aug 18 2018 10:32:41
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor (3000.12 MHz)
Memory: 12288MB
OS version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Memory manager: OS native
Graphics card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Windows graphics driver version: 24.21.0013.9882
OpenGL version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 398.82
Detected VRAM: 4096MB
J2C decoder: OpenJPEG: 1.4.0.635d
Audio driver: FMOD Studio v1.10.08
Networking backend: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8
Embedded browser: CEF3 plugin v3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4

Built with: MSVC v1800

Compile flags used for this build:
/O2 /Oi /MD /MP /DNDEBUG /D_SECURE_SCL=0 /D_HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING=0 /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /GR /EHsc /Oy- /GS /fp:fast /TP /W2 /Zc:forScope /Zc:wchar_t- /c /nologo /DLL_WINDOWS=1 /DUNICODE /D_UNICODE /DWINVER=0x0600 /D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0600 /DXML_STATIC /DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB /DLL_LUA=1 /DLL_FMODSTUDIO=1 /DAPR_DECLARE_STATIC /DAPU_DECLARE_STATIC /DCURL_STATICLIB=1 /DLIB_NDOF=1

Thanks,
Geoff

Attachments:
CoolVL Uninstall error.log [4.41 KiB]
Downloaded 175 times
CoolVL_Uninstall error.PNG
CoolVL_Uninstall error.PNG [ 26.5 KiB | Viewed 2753 times ]
CoolVL_Uninstall error Paused.PNG
CoolVL_Uninstall error Paused.PNG [ 31.12 KiB | Viewed 2753 times ]
2018-08-18 17:07:30

I'm not getting such an error here, on multiple Windows installs (4 natives (2* (Win7 + Win10) on hard drives), 4 VMs (idem) running under Linux, on 2 different computers)...

Perhaps an issue with file permissions: see what happens if you install the viewer in your user directory, for example.

Another usual suspect is the anti-virus software (try installing with it disabled and see what happens).

I'm not sure the installer would try using a native Tcl/Tk installation (it got its own TclKit runtime bundled), but maybe it does: do you have Tcl/Tk installed stand-alone (an older Tcl/Tk version than the one bundled in the installer could then possibly pose issues) ?

2018-08-18 18:39:30
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Perhaps an issue with file permissions: see what happens if you install the viewer in your user directory, for example.

I just tried that. It installed correctly without any errors. I then thought what would happen if I needed to update it again. So I ran the installer again and got the same error.

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Another usual suspect is the anti-virus software (try installing with it disabled and see what happens).

I do not have any anti-virus software installed other than IObit Malware Fighter. I disabled it and still got the error.

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
I'm not sure the installer would try using a native Tcl/Tk installation (it got its own TclKit runtime bundled), but maybe it does: do you have Tcl/Tk installed stand-alone (an older Tcl/Tk version than the one bundled in the installer could then possibly pose issues) ?

I never installed any other TcI/Tk installer. Only what is already installed with Windows or your using your installer.

Geoff

2018-08-18 22:05:22

The error you get is apparently a failure to truncate the uninstaller file (but hard to tell what exactly since only part of the error lines is shown in your screenshot): perhaps a filesystem issue... See if the temporary folder got invalid permissions and run a filesystem check on the drive where it is located.

2018-08-18 22:22:32
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
The error you get is apparently a failure to truncate the uninstaller file (but hard to tell what exactly since only part of the error lines is shown in your screenshot): perhaps a filesystem issue...

I did save the log file and uploaded it with the screenshots.

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
See if the temporary folder got invalid permissions

I checked the permissions and looks ok there.

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
and run a filesystem check on the drive where it is located.

I ran a sfc /scannow and there was one corrupted file.
Code:
Repairing corrupted file [ml:48{24},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64"\[l:24{12}]"SyncHost.exe" from store
restarted and reran the file scan. didnt show any more issues. I then tried to uninstall Cool VL from my computer and notices I have 3 different versions still showing as installed(1.26.20, 1.26.21, and 1.26.22). I tried to uninstall the 1.26.20 but nothing happened and two pop windows came up, one was blank, the other was stuck at 1%. I then tried to uninstall the latest version 1.26.22 but the same thing happened.

I think I will either leave it as is, because the viewer works just fine except the software installation uninstaller, or just restore windows.

Geoff

Attachments:
CoolVL_Uninstall.PNG
CoolVL_Uninstall.PNG [ 46.51 KiB | Viewed 2741 times ]
2018-08-19 18:28:40

Never mind! I'm embarrassed for what I just discovered. :oops: I found out I do have Microsoft Security Essentials installed and running on this computer. It was not listed in the Start menu or in Control panel. But when I tried to enable Windows Defender to do some tests, I was getting all sorts of errors, I did a search and one of the causes was that Microsoft Security Essentials in installed and running. So it was an anti virus program interfering with the installing process. :oops:

I disabled it and ran the installer again and it did complete the installation and uninstalling processes with out any issues. But I am still not able to uninstall the previous versions and the two pop windows still do not show any progress. I can live with it though.

Thank you!

Geoff

2018-08-19 18:42:54

Windoze and its anti-viruses... A nightmare for legit applications, and the user, and not even an obstacle for actual viruses... :roll:

Anyway. For the stale installation entries, you should be able to remove them with regedit.exe. Search for "Cool VL Viewer" in keys, and you should find, in an "Uninstall" key folder (e.g. in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ but your mileage may vary with the Windows version) the old entries for the gone viewers: simply delete them. Also delete the old folder from your "Program Files" (or "Program Files (x86)") folder.

2018-08-19 23:17:03
Profile WWW

Thank you Henri,

I removed the entries from the registry path you gave me and deleted the folders and the shortcuts in the Start > All Programs.

Geoff

2018-08-21 19:21:26
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]