Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-18 12:28:43

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Merge chat log files? 

Hi Henri,

So I am using Cool VL between 3 different devices and have separate chat logs for each device I am on. I want to merge all those chat logs into one log for that chat history and then move the merged logs into a cloud where each computer would have access/update those chat logs. My question is, do you know of a program where I can use to merge those chat logs into one log being in chronological order? I was trying to manually do it, but this is a pain where I let this go for way too long and have way too many chat logs.

Thanks,
Geoff

2018-11-10 17:30:55

It depends if all your logs are time-stamped and the format of the time stamp, but if the latter is in the form YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS then you could use utilities such as "cat" and "sort" under Linux:
Code:
cat /source1/chat.log /source2/chat.log ... /sourceN/chat.log | sort >/destination/chat.log

For more complex cases, you'd need to write some Perl, Python (or any other scripting language) program; taking into account your time stamp format specificities (such as inverted MM/DD/YYYY in English speaking countries, or AM/PM issues in 12 hours format).

2018-11-10 21:40:34
Profile WWW

They are all time stamped and should be all the same time format. I was hoping for a GUI to do it in because Im that lazy. I do have Ubuntu installed on another computer or I can just use VMware. But after searching a little I found the windows command line also can do it and there are apps out there with a GUI too. So I do have many options. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Geoff

2018-11-11 16:32:37
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]