Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-24 02:33:28

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Voice not connecting? 

ZaneZimer wrote:
I have been doing a bit more digging and testing on this issue. I maxed the VivoxDebugLevel to 5 and noticed a failure in two of the Actions the viewer's voice client invokes: Account.ListBlockRules.1 and Account.ListAutoAcceptRules.1. As far as I can tell, they do not return anything or at least not what they used to return. If I comment out the two calls in newviewer/llvoiceclient.cpp which invoke them (accountListBlockRulesSendMessage() on 2132 and accountListAutoAcceptRulesSendMessage() on 2135), I can get the voice client to connect successfully and pass a simple, usability test in 'Voice Echo Canyon'. I am not entirely certain what those Actions are for, because I can't find any relevant doc online (Linden or otherwise). They certainly aren't listed here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Voice/Technical. My theory is they are for automatically blocking and/or accepting voice chat requests. I am certainly not advocating doing what I did nor have I tested in a real, live chat scenario. This problem just bugged me and I wanted to report back what I have found/learned so far.

Well, congratulations !

You indeed found the workaround for the protocol change... It's been a while that Vivox decoupled Voice from SL's friends list, but this code lingered in my viewer (since I never modified Snowglobe's v1.4 voice code, from which the Cool SL Viewer was originally forked), and, apparently, Vivox decided to log off clients that still used it... The next release will have your fix implemented (and perhaps will I spend some time removing the useless code too).

2019-01-30 00:37:23
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
The next release will have your fix implemented (and perhaps will I spend some time removing the useless code too).
That's great. I certainly didn't post intending for you to take up extra work though. It was enough that I found a way for me to work around the issue. That being said, I would be delighted to avoid patching each time I build. :D

2019-01-30 03:56:46

There seems to be a problem with private voice calls not working. Ive tried everything and looked at settings. Others are able to hear me in open public talking on mic but when I try to private call a friend in IM it doesnt work. Ive tried it with a different viewer such as Firestorm just to be sure and private calls do work on that viewer. Can someone please help? I prefer to use the Cool VL Viewer instead but it doesnt work.

2019-03-03 14:44:27

Unless someone else than myself looks into this, I'm afraid this will not be fixed... I'm not using voice, and voice is not supported for Linux any more by LL anyway (reminder: the Cool VL Viewer is a Linux viewer, that happens to also compile for Windows and MacOS-X)...

Sorry.

2019-03-03 15:00:16
Profile WWW

If voice chat is not supported, is there a reason why voice chat on the Cool VL Viewer does in fact work in public and others are able to hear me but when I private call voice chat with a friend it doesnt?

2019-03-03 15:05:53

Just to be clear voice chat does indeed work in public local setting on the Cool VL Viewer. It only doesnt work when I private call a friend on my friends list.

2019-03-03 15:08:35

orange5 wrote:
If voice chat is not supported, is there a reason why voice chat on the Cool VL Viewer does in fact work in public and others are able to hear me but when I private call voice chat with a friend it doesnt?

LL and Vivox changed the voice protocol in use. The Cool VL Viewer still uses the old Snowglobe-era voice client (and the new Vivox voice client is not available for Linux anyway), so things changed and some features might have seen their backward compatibility broken...
Whether their could be a workaround implemented viewer-side or not so to keep the old client working is unknown to me, and I frankly do not care the least; please, remember that I make this viewer for myself, and only share it with like-minded people as a free service to the SL community, but I won't invest time and efforts in features I do not care about and never ever use, such as voice...

2019-03-03 15:16:04
Profile WWW

Thats unfortunate because private voice chat calls were indeed working in previous older versions of the Cool VL Viewer. Hopefully in the future if you do decide to fix it would be greatly appreciated to myself and the many other users that use your viewer. I actually prefer this viewer more but its unfortunate that private voice chat calls dont work anymore.

2019-03-03 15:31:45

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Whether their could be a workaround implemented viewer-side or not so to keep the old client working is unknown to me, and I frankly do not care the least; please, remember that I make this viewer for myself, and only share it with like-minded people as a free service to the SL community, but I won't invest time and efforts in features I do not care about and never ever use, such as voice...
You have to meet Henri a bit more than halfway here. Henri graciously helped get voice functioning again after I did some 'leg work' to isolate a reason that it recently broke (see Voice not connecting?). Through some trial and error debugging on my part, I was able to build a viewer and get voice functionality back for myself by removing calls to apparently defunct API methods. This provided enough information which allowed Henri to quickly/easily target some code to clean up, which got things working again (at least in public voice anyway). I'm not implying it's easy. I think I just got a bit lucky, to be honest.

2019-03-03 15:33:54

orange5 wrote:
Thats unfortunate because private voice chat calls were indeed working in previous older versions of the Cool VL Viewer.
This is not a problem of viewer version, but the result of LL and Vivox changing the protocol last December, making it incompatible with old Vivox client versions. Please, complain to LL.

2019-03-03 15:38:06
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next