Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 19:39:10

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
crash in places with a crowd 

actually you're spot on the right parameter.

One parameter I had changed some time back and I had noticed how it had dramatically increased the "crash rate".
(That was a long time before writing the post )

Thinking 6GB was good enough ( I was on Windows 7 before with 4GB RAM ) I ventured into reducing the swap space to a a minimal value.
I was at the time on HDD ( non SSD ) and pagefile activity, (+ cache activity ?) ( + all non-sense OSactivity going on for no valid reason ) just froze windows10.
So I wanted to minimize swap space size, thinking Windows would think twice before using the pagefile ( some readings about on internet )
Result : crashes happening within minutes after launching the viewer.

Then I understood GPU RAM used involves RAM bein used as a consequence, by reading your explanations in the forums.

To correct this , I increased the pagefile size, but probably it's still too low.
I'll increase it again.

Next actions :
moving to SSD
installing Linux besides Windows on the SSD. (Antergos)

I'll keep you posted.

2019-04-27 12:19:17

I just realized I had forgotten to "keep you posted"

so.. same machine, with same graphics card, but now with SSD, and with Antergos, works WAY much better.
There is no comparison. at all.

much much faster on Linux.

( I have moved to another machine, just as heads up since I am posting about other peformance issues )

Thank you for the help :-)

2021-08-03 11:52:44

Quote:
but it is strange you get it to trigger with the 64 bits viewer, seeing as 64 bits binaries got a virtually unlimited address space and that in case of short physical memory condition, the OS should simply swap RAM blocks with the swap partition to keep going... Of course, also make sure to enable "Allow swapping" in the viewer "Advanced" -> "Memory management" menu...

Windows produces a malloc() error (returning NULL) whenever the dynamic swap file size gets extended and the file system is a little slow. So the first time you need more RAM than the current swap, you crash. Its kind of hillarious. So having a small dynamic swap size to start is a sure way to have trouble.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubl ... ion-errors

2021-08-03 17:03:54

kathrine wrote:
Windows produces a malloc() error (returning NULL) whenever the dynamic swap file size gets extended and the file system is a little slow. So the first time you need more RAM than the current swap, you crash. Its kind of hillarious. So having a small dynamic swap size to start is a sure way to have trouble.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubl ... ion-errors
Interesting... Another proof of the totally shitty design of that sub-par OS.

The Cool VL Viewer got many guards against NULL pointers returned by malloc() calls (I added them in the 32 bits era, when memory allocations would easily fail in long sessions, due to the 4Gb virtual address space exhaustion), but not everywhere either (small memory blocks allocations are usually not guarded), so it could indeed crash in such an occurrence (even if less often than other viewers without those guards), not to mention the crashes that could happen in the code of all the libraries in use by the viewer...

2021-08-03 17:37:55
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2