Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-16 11:43:33

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Does Cool VL Viewer rquire MSVCP140.dll to run? 

I was on Singularity viewer until LL's updates last week broke it. I was on an older, pre-bento version. I'd tried to update last year to the Singularity Alpha, but it wouldn't start because my computer is missing the .dll file above. I'm a total techno-dummy, I'm afraid, so I assumed that all bento viewers required that file, and since I'm still on Windows 7, I wasn't sure how to go about getting one for my computer. (I'm something of a technophobe, as well, I'm afraid; when I don't know how to do something I get paralyzed into inaction.) But when LL broke Singularity, in desperation I tried downloading Catznip, as my computer is several years old now and I didn't know if Firestorm would even work on it. Catznip to my surprise, worked--but I hate the interface. I can't find anything, it takes up to three times the effort and open boxes to do what was simple on Singularity, and I miss chat and IMs because of how they're displayed. I run tribute concerts in SL, and it's a nightmare on Catznip to do. Someone told me about Cool VL viewer, and I'm checking on it.

Sorry--got wordy in explaining. Does Cool require MSVCP140.dll to run? If so, how can I get it for a six-year-old computer running Windows 7? Thank you for any help you can give me.

2019-07-08 17:43:33

No, the current stable branch (v1.26.22) does not require the VC140 runtime libraries (only VC120, and it's packaged with the viewer anyway).

The experimental branch (v1.26.23) however does use VC140 libraries, but here again, they are part of the viewer installation and you therefore do not need any external library to run the viewer.

You will however need the gstreamer libraries to be able to play media within the viewer (see the Windows installation howto).

Note also that you can perfectly install the VC140 runtimes on Windows 7, to run other viewers as well. Get it from Micro$oft.

2019-07-08 18:03:02
Profile WWW

All right--thank you! I'll be downloading it then, as it looks so much closer to what I'm used to. I'm totally lost in the other viewer I tried.

2019-07-09 17:19:57
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]