Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-19 11:44:41

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Lua related: debug setting for shadow controls 

Most of the time I want shadows enabled in my viewer, but there are places where having them enabled causes a serious hit to the framerate. I've created my own Lua sidebar button for turning advanced lighting model (ALM) off and on. What I really want to do is change the button that toggles ALM to just turning shadows on and off. I am lazy enough to want a single button for quick changes depending on the situation of the moment, avoiding the need to enter preferences every time I want to change the setting. I have not found any debug setting relating to the shadow controls. Can a debug setting for shadows be added (assuming one doesn't already exist which I have simply failed to find)? I could then add that debug setting to my 'whitelist' and use it in my custom Lua automation script.

2020-07-09 00:30:54

You might have a look at RenderShadowDetail. I use that setting along with a few others to create graphics 'profiles' that I can quickly switch via the keyboard commands.

2020-07-09 01:26:55

Thank you, Zane! That was the setting I needed. I should have experimented with RenderShadowDetail, but the description must have given me a different idea of its purpose. Nevertheless...

Code:
shadows_on=true
function OnLogin(location)
    -- Setup the side bar button for Shadows:
    OnAutomationMessage("shadows-on")
function OnAutomationMessage(text)
    elseif text == "shadows-on" then
        shadows_on=true
        SetDebugSetting("RenderShadowDetail", "2")
        SideBarButton(6, "shadow_off.png", "AutomationMessage('shadows-off')", "Disable shadows")
    elseif text == "shadows-off" then
        shadows_on=false
        SetDebugSetting("RenderShadowDetail", "0")
        SideBarButton(6, "shadow_on.png", "AutomationMessage('shadows-on')", "Enable shadows")

works exactly as I hoped after adding RenderShadowDetail to LuaSettingsWhitelist.
I made two simple icons in GIMP for this button.

2020-07-09 03:09:22
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]