Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-24 09:58:11

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Question regarding Cool viewer and TPV 

Hi, I want to use this viewer, it looks like it will fit my needs perfectly, plus. it's cool

However, I see it is not listed in the TPV. I don't care about that, but knowing this.. I have to ask

Is this safe to use? will LL ban me for using it?

Thanks!

2020-07-26 04:19:28

If I remember correctly, Cool VL Viewer is not in the TPV list only because to be there, the Lindens demand to get some personal RL information from Henri that he is - rightfully, IMHO - unwilling to give. So that's more of an administrative problem than a technical or security one, and they have no reason to ban anyone using the viewer. I've been using it for years and never had a single issue with that.

2020-07-26 04:32:53

Ah, alright. Thank you

2020-07-26 04:37:47

Did you even READ the main page of the site ?...

Citation:
Quote:
Please note that since LL published a Third-Party Viewers (TPV) policy, in order to use this viewer to connect to Second Life, you must first read and agree with these terms (which will be presented to you on the first run of the Cool VL Viewer).
The Cool VL Viewer is itself TPV-policy compliant (and for people wondering why it is not listed in LL's TPV directory, it's simply because I don't want to provide private data to LL about myself, data which is illegal to require for such a purpose in my country. Being listed in the directory is in no way a requirement for a viewer to be considered TPV-policy compliant anyway: see the paragraph 6 of the TPV policy).

Also, do read LL's TPV policy (TPVP), and you will see in chapter 7.e. that:
Quote:
If you are a user, we suggest taking reasonable precautions, including virus scanning, before installing and using a Third-Party Viewer. We suggest these precautions even for applications in the Viewer Directory because self-certification is no guarantee of an application’s compliance with this Policy.
(emphasis mine).

For your info, the Cool VL Viewer has been the very first TPV (implementation date: 2010-04-03) to become TPVP-compliant (i.e. implementing all the requirements, especially as stated in chapter 1 of that policy).

2020-07-26 09:43:30
Profile WWW

radwind88 wrote:
Is this safe to use? will LL ban me for using it?

It's perfectly safe. I am using it on a daily base since long before the TPV-directory was even considered as an idea, and I have never had any issues with it.
(Except once with a local C-library back in uhm.... 2008-ish? So long ago it is completely irrelevant these days anyway...)

IMHO Henri's viewer is very stable, and he's fast on fixing issues. (Thanks for all the work you do Henri!)

The only "issue" that you might eventually have is if you need to talk with LL's support about something viewer related. They tend to sometimes be a little on the snarky side when you don't use their own official viewer. But nothing else will happen, so take a big smile and enjoy it. 8-)

Worth noting is that Henri has been doing this viewer for many many years, and is a well known person in the developer circles ;)

My 0.02 of thoughts of any currency bundled with a huge amount of appreciation ^^

2020-07-26 12:24:36

I love this viewer, it is truly nice to be back on this UI.

I hate to sound like a boomer, but I have vivid memories of SL running smoothly with max graphics on a (now) meager machine such as a c2q and 9800 gt, and I am pretty sure that quit being a possibility on even top of the line modern computers after the implenetation of the new UI by LL, if not that, what in the WORLD did they do to make this game so laggy??
'
anyways im glad this viewer exists

2020-07-27 01:26:43
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]