Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-19 18:56:45

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Depreciation of gridargs.dat 

<rant>
It would have been very nice with a bit of heads up on the fact that this:
Quote:
Linux only: various improvements to the 'cool_vl_viewer' wrapper script.

as mentioned in http://sldev.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2&start=530#p10026
actually disables the use of gridargs.dat without further warning. :evil:

I get the logic behind it... but I have not seen any warning about it, and now I have broken viewers as I relied on it for some configuration options.
Sure easy to fix, just throw the switches in the call to the script... but annoying to suddenly face a reset viewer starting in a small window claiming a need for confirming the ToS just because the original configuration isn't included any logner.
Thanks Henri, not!
</rant>
Tought I'd post it here if someone else steps on the same mine.

And beside being annoyed right now, thanks for all the good work you do Henri. I'm not mad at you and your viewer rocks! ^^

2020-09-19 13:52:23

Before shouting, pestering, and cursing me for the next 50 generations (go ahead, I'm an atheist so I don't care :twisted: ), please examine the changes ! :roll:

Just read the comments in the cool_vl_viewer script...

You will see that gridargs.dat (which was bound to a viewer installation) was not simply removed, but instead replaced with a much better way of specifying custom options (per-Linux account, that will stick with future viewer versions too).

See the NOTE in the very first comment (you can use ~/.secondlife/cool_vl_viewer.conf which is automatically sourced by the script and may contain custom variable overrides, or even a full bash script if you so fancy !), as well as the new LL_SUP_OPT variable around line 126...

So, it's just a matter of typing in a terminal:
Code:
echo 'LL_SUP_OPT="'`cat /path/to/old/gridargs.dat`'"' >>~/.secondlife/cool_vl_viewer.conf

2020-09-19 13:58:36
Profile WWW

Thanks Henri, it would have been very useful if you included some information already in the release notes.

Maybe next time you do such a breaking change? ;)

(Yes I call it breaking, because it breaks the installation until it is reconfigured as per your advice above.)

Anyway case solved, and anyone else might not have to go through the frustration now.

2020-09-19 15:08:31

Jessica Hultcrantz wrote:
Thanks Henri, it would have been very useful if you included some information already in the release notes.

1. The information about the changes to the wrapper script was already given: all you had to do was to read the comments in that script.
  2. I cannot detail every minute change in the release notes: it would take too much time.
  3. Not everyone reads the release notes (by far).
  4. A patch file is provided for each release. If you can't find something in the release notes, you can have a look at it (searching for "gridargs" in the patch for this week would have provided you with all the pointers and information).

2020-09-19 16:03:11
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]