Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 13:14:47

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
dullahan_host - what are the benefits? 

Hey good morning.

I'm a happy user of the little but very efficient simplewall firewall on windows. When I updated my viewer I saw that there's a "dullahan_host.exe" trying to connect to the internet. So I read a bit about it and decided to disable the use of it because people wrote that it might increase cpu and decrease performance (at least in some cases?). But as I'm still not sure about what dullahan is for I'm taking the chance to ask for more information about it. Can someone explain to me what dullahan_host is actually doing and if it is okay to use it with regards to privacy?

Again, many thanks in advance.
Frank

2021-06-22 06:42:12

This is simply the (only) way to get a web browser using CEF. The dullahan_host executable simply runs threads making use of the CEF library (which implements the browser code itself).

There is no privacy concern, aside from the CEF privacy issues themselves (browsers are a very vulnerable type of software and CEF being based on the bug-riddled Chromium does not make things safer, by far); this is no different than using the Chromium web browser (which, privacy-wise, is much safer than Googgle Chrome).

The embedded CEF browser got little performances impact on the CPU, unless you are viewing a Javascript-heavy or WebGL page in it.
Memory consumption is another story, but unlike some other viewers, the Cool VL Viewer does not let a CEF browser running permanently in the background (i.e. when all embedded browsers are closed, the dullahan_host executable and associated SLPlugin are removed from memory).

If you disable network access to dullahan_host, you will disable access to web sites and media using CEF as the player; this is a bad idea.

To lower the CPU usage when viewing media (at the cost of lower frame rates when media plugins are active), you may disable the "Advanced" -> "Media" -> "Use a read thread for plugins" option.

2021-06-22 08:27:56
Profile WWW

Thanks again, Henri, for the insides behind the dullahan host. Now I finally have a very much better understanding of what it is and what it is for.

As I'm not using media in sl (only music) and watch all content in my outside browser (hardened firefox) I may keep the dullahan_host deactivated for now.

Thanks again!

2021-06-22 10:41:03
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]