Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-19 02:23:21

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
The new dynamic logarithmic netowk indicator 

The "Changed the network indicator in the status bar to use a logarithmic scale, with the maximum bandwidth updated during the session to match the actually measured max used bandwidth" change introduced in Cool VL Viewer v1.28.2.52 is giving me a headache.

What on earth is it supposed to tell now?
All it tells now is that "some" data is flowing, if that is 10 kbps, 100 kbps or 1000 kpbs is not possible to tell, unless you have checked what the max has been recently.
Previously it indicated if you had a low data flow or a high data flow just by looking at it, now it seems to be just a dumbed down "yes I'm online" indicator.

Am I missing something here?

2021-12-29 18:00:43

In order to be able to display the full data rate range (and given it is unbound for the HTTP traffic), the indicator maximum range is adjusted to match the highest data transfer rate ever encountered in the session (i.e. it starts low, at the max UDP transfer rate setting, and raises to match the highest rate seen afterwards).

The problem with a linear scale is that, after a high data transfer rate occurrence (such as a TP in a sim full of meshes, where the transfer rate can easily reach 150 Mbps or even more), the slow trickle of data that happens afterwards, when your avatar is immobile, is no more displayed (since too low, at 10-100 kbps or so, to even represent a pixel high in the indicator). To work around this issue, I previously implemented a variable range indicator and every few seconds, the maximum range was decreased progressively until it matched the current traffic (or the max UDP transfer setting, whichever was the highest value) again; but then the indicator became quite "fuzzy" (since the same bar height never corresponded to the same value, even after reaching the maximum data rate you'd ever reach during the whole session), and only the colour of the indicator (which is yellow to red for traffic almost equaling the maximum rate ever encountered, regardless of the current variable range maximum) could tell you that you were actually at a very high rate or not.

I then decided to implement a logarithmic indicator (see the release notes) instead: this way, you always have an indication of the current network traffic and it is more reliable/accurate than the varying linear indicator you previously had. Simply bear in mind that the trickling network traffic will appear around the medium level in the indicator.

For an accurate value of the instantaneous data rate, hover the mouse pointer on the indicator (the transfer rate value is given in the tool tip).

Please also note that unlike (all ?) other viewers, the Cool VL Viewer accounts for both the UDP and the HTTP traffic in this indicator.

Finally, should the network traffic fall to zero (network link lost), this indicator turns grey and flashes (another Cool VL Viewer exclusivity :-P).

2021-12-29 18:20:11
Profile WWW

Thanks for the well written explanation Henri, much appreciated.

It finally makes a lot more sense, especially with the technical details.

Have a good new year, love you viewer ^^

2021-12-31 17:30:12
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]