Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 10:08:20

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Profile Export Import 

Hey there!

I'm not sure if it is already a feature or not , at least I can't find it. As my PC is quite old I have to be very careful with the Graphics and other settings. But sometimes I like to just click on RECOMMENDED SETTINGS. But after I did, all settings get adjusted. I urgently need a feature to save or export my settings that I use when I do my Live Shows as I have a very professional setup which sets my computer under heavy load. I'd really wish there is a way to save and recall these settings when I need them and to use the better graphics, etc settings for my regular SL-times when I'm not live streaming my concerts.

Is that feature already available and I just don't see it?

Greetz from Berlin

2022-03-28 22:42:45

There is no "profile" in the Cool VL Viewer (I never felt any need for them myself, so...).

You can save the settings (from the Advanced menu: there are 4 options, the "current" ones corresponding to the settings you chose, with both the global and the per account settings), but you cannot restore them from within the viewer (you must rename the file and copy it manually in the user_settings/ folder, which location depends on your OS).

You can also simply copy the user_settings/settings_coolvlviewer_1282.xml file (for the global settings of the v1.28.2 Cool VL Viewer branch), which contains all the graphics/hardware settings to restore it later. Just make sure you have shut down the viewer before copying that file (it is updated on viewer exit).

However, the simplest solution, would be to use two different accounts (logins) on your computer, one for the professional business, and the other for the personal stuff (which is also a good practice, for all other applications/files anyway). You would then automatically gain a different set of settings (even if you use the same avatar under the two different computer accounts), linked to the login name on your computer...

2022-03-28 23:17:42
Profile WWW

Bonjour Henri,

thank you very much for your always fast responses!

oki dokes - I will check that out. Of course a profile chooser or an import option for exported settings would be more charming, at least there is a chance to do it. Thank you for the clue!

The special profile on my pc is not an option for me but to copy and change names of one file when I need it is actually one.

Merci beaucoup,

Sunny Greetings

2022-03-29 09:32:09

DonFranko wrote:
Of course a profile chooser or an import option for exported settings would be more charming
So far, you are the one and only person who expressed any interest in such a feature, and my available time not being infinite, I must prioritize features based on their usefulness (and with the usefulness to me as a first criteria, since it is my viewer that I just happen to share with others).

However, for this kind of very specific needs, I did develop the Lua scripting feature for the Cool VL Viewer. And you could indeed do this in Lua (see page 28 of the Cool VL Viewer Lua manual, about debug settings) !
Granted, it will be a bit tedious to code, at first; you must determine what are the debug settings to change, which you could do by 'diff'ing the two versions of the user_settings/settings_coolvlviewer_1282.xml files for the two configurations you are using.
E.g., under Linux or macOS (or, for Windoze, using either of Cygwin, MinGW or WSL terminal):
Code:
diff -dN -u8 <path_to_saved_settings_file>/settings_coolvlviewer_1282.xml.home <path_to_saved_settings_file>/settings_coolvlviewer_1282.xml.work
Then, in the Lua automation script (user_settings/automation.lua), put the list of debug settings names with their respective values in two Lua tables (one for home, one for work settings), and use them (via a Lua dialog, or a Lua side bar button callback) to set the viewer settings accordingly, with SetDebugSetting() in a loop on the chosen table key/value pairs (do not forget to add the settings names to the white list contained in the "LuaSettingsWhiteList" debug setting).

Another (simpler) option, is to use a script or batch file to overwrite the settings file of the viewer with one of the two copies you will have done beforehand, and launch (before starting the viewer !) that script/batch file every time you need to switch from one profile to another.

2022-03-29 11:29:55
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
However, for this kind of very specific needs, I did develop the Lua scripting feature for the Cool VL Viewer.
I use this feature to quickly modify a few (10) rendering debug options via either parsing the onSendChat() callback, looking for a command and parameter, or via a Lua Floater. My Lua automation script is quite large and augments the viewer in various ways that add to my SL experience. It's an awesome viewer additon, IMO.

2022-03-29 12:23:01

I thank you for that proposal.

Henri, I understand totally that you can't do that if there's only one guy asking for it. That's fair and fine.

As I'm a little used to lua scripting via my Studio DAW REAPER this seems to be a really great solution to finetune the sytem way beyond the graphics thing.

BTW - today I've found some time to just try and error a bit - and I have to admit, I wasn't awar of the many things that happen behind the Fader settings (low - high) and Recommended Setting. That is indeed a lot changing graphically and the best part - all the other important settings for the performance of my old pc are untouched. So, I'm thankful for your fast replies and pieces of information. You're right, Henri, with that and the lua-scripting there is actually no need for a profile switcher.

If I'd start to dive a bit into the lua coding here - I'm sure I'll find some help (API, commands, etc) here within the forum.

thanks again!

2022-03-29 12:44:39

ZaneZimer wrote:
My Lua automation script is quite large and augments the viewer in various ways that add to my SL experience.
Feel free to share your script (*) in the Contributions forum. :)

(*) Or part of it: it is best if done on a per-feature basis, using the pre-processor for #includes and #ifdef hooks (for the callbacks) in the automation script, so to split the large script into several independent modules people will be able to reuse easily and integrate to their own automation script.

2022-03-30 12:11:02
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Feel free to share your script (*) in the Contributions forum. :)
I have pondered many times sharing it but have held back. My features are very custom to my usage. I also feel that my code is very, very messy. I implemented my own 'pre-processing/module logic' before you had the pre-preprocessor features but even then, it is still a bit monolithic. I haven't taken the time to break things up to take advantage. :? I guess I'm just 'embarrassed' by my efforts.

2022-03-30 16:54:54
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]