Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-19 07:14:31

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Short freeze after login/TP/sim crossing 

I have noticed an odd viewer 'freeze' a moment or two after crossing into a new region. I don't often fly region to region but with the new improvements, I have been taxing the viewer. The new Linden Home regions are particularly 'heavy' and where I have been testing. Object and texture loads, are speedy but this freeze stops the viewer for about a second. I have tried with GLWorkerThreads on and off. I have noted that tailing the log this is the line logged during the pause:
Code:
2022-05-10 15:01:40Z INFO: handle_objects_visibility: Refreshing objects visibility
My testing hasn't been exhaustive but I have tried changing the texture mem (bound and regular). Threads on and off. Version 1.28.2 even seems to exhibit the behavior, but there is no log message coinciding and it 'feels' a bit of a shorter pause. I can provide other details and logs, if I should try something specific. Otherwise, 1.29.0, performs very well even when just rotating/caming around (with expected frame rate impact as textures load, which is very quick).

2022-05-10 15:10:13

ZaneZimer wrote:
I have noticed an odd viewer 'freeze' a moment or two after crossing into a new region
This is perfectly normal and the expected behaviour.

After crossing a region border (or after a far TP, or after login), the viewer auto-refreshes the objects visibility to fight "missing" (or disappearing) objects and objects near the border that get moved out of place (and therefore appear in a wrong place on the screen). Viewers not doing it simply suffer from these well known "glitches" (likely due to a race condition in the objects list refresh and the sending of the "interest list" data by the sim).

This incurs a short freeze (normally, well below one second: around 250ms or so, at 256m draw distance), but the more objects in the object list and the slower your CPU, the longer it takes...

You may control the delay after the login/TP/sim border crossing via the "ObjectsVisibilityAutoRefreshDelay" (setting it to 0 disables the auto-refresh), which defaults to 2 seconds (if objects are still missing after the auto-refresh, you may want to try and increase that delay to 3 or 4s).

Note: I split this into a new FAQ thread, since it had nothing to do with the experimental viewer.

2022-05-10 15:51:15
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Note: I split this into a new FAQ thread, since it had nothing to do with the experimental viewer.

No problem on the new topic. I have always noticed the 'blip' with region crossing, it just seems a bit more severe (longer/full hang) in 1.29.0. This could be due to the regions I'm in having a large number of objects and complexity. It could also be that I'm transitioning regions too fast as the effect seems to get worse the more regions I cross.

Last edited by ZaneZimer on 2022-05-10 16:09:54, edited 1 time in total.

2022-05-10 16:04:00

ZaneZimer wrote:
it just seems a bit more severe (longer/full hang) in 1.29.0
Pure placebo effect. There is strictly no difference in this part of the code between the two viewer branches (and I am not seeing any difference in the freeze length here either).

2022-05-10 16:06:35
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Pure placebo effect. There is strictly no difference in this part of the code between the two viewer branches (and I am not seeing any difference in the freeze length here either).
Yes, likely so. I don't fly across many regions very often, so my memory of this isn't great.

2022-05-10 16:12:15
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]