Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 23:25:29

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
How can I change the default column width of the Radar float 

Hi Henri,

then I missunderstood your above post as I thought you were mentioning the resizing of the column what is possible but just not saved, what I've now learned.

The resizing of the radar is not option for me if I want to still see what's happening in the venues in front of my stage ;)

Does it make sense to ask for a possible user changed default alike what you did with the radar name colours?

2022-09-14 12:15:10

DonFranko wrote:
Does it make sense to ask for a possible user changed default alike what you did with the radar name colours?
No, it does not.

If you want to customize the viewer floaters, you still can, by using the UI override features (here with a modified %appdata%/SecondLife/skins/default/xui/en-us/floater_radar.xml file).

2022-09-14 12:35:49
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
DonFranko wrote:
No, it does not.

If you want to customize the viewer floaters, you still can, by using the UI override features (here with a modified %appdata%/SecondLife/skins/default/xui/en-us/floater_radar.xml file).

That is great. How is it exactly done? Do I just copy and paste the original and then adjusted xml into that folder or is there something else to do?

Is that working for all xml-files?

2022-09-14 12:39:58

DonFranko wrote:
Do I just copy and paste the original and then adjusted xml into that folder
Yes
Quote:
or is there something else to do?
No.
Quote:
Is that working for all xml-files?
Yes, you may entirely customize the UI this way. Tedious, but doable.

2022-09-14 15:02:01
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
DonFranko wrote:
Do I just copy and paste the original and then adjusted xml into that folder
Yes

Actually that didn't work for me. I did the copy paste, changed the width of the name column, saved it and re-started the viewer. Nothing had changed.

Then I changed the open radar floater again and then went to -- Advanced - User Interface - XUI - Save frontmost floater to xml to the relevant path. As the file looks very different from the original (at least the format) I copied the code from the original xml, changed again the column width, save it, re-startet the viewer again. Since then it works as expected.

I may have done something wrong before?

Anyhow now it's working and I don't have to adjust the column width anymore. Great!

Just wanted to let you know about my how-to.

Thanks Henri!

2022-09-14 17:25:39

DonFranko wrote:
Actually that didn't work for me. I did the copy paste
It would have been easier and safer to just copy the original file... Windoze Copy/Paste for text might add format data, or change line endings, for example.
Also, you must use a pure text editor to edit such files (not a word processor).

Quote:
The XUI file format is extremely strict (like any XML format): any typo (missing space between a closing quote and the next attribute name, missing or extra slash, missing or extra angle bracket, missing or extra quote, bad attribute name, invalid or XML-reserved character), and your are hosed (and could possibly crash the viewer)... There is little to no safety check done for that format in the viewer code (those files are supposed to be bug-free), so your file must be perfectly formatted.

2022-09-14 17:43:05
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
DonFranko wrote:
Actually that didn't work for me. I did the copy paste
It would have been easier and safer to just copy the original file... Windoze Copy/Paste for text might add format data, or change line endings, for example.
Also, you must use a pure text editor to edit such files (not a word processor).

Ah, oh, good to know! I wasn't aware of it. I may try to replicate it again as I actually did copy and paste the original file, first. Then edited the width with notepad++ in the automatically detected xml-format layout and saved it... I will try it again, maybe their went something wrong the first time that I'm not aware of.

Quote:
The XUI file format is extremely strict (like any XML format): any typo (missing space between a closing quote and the next attribute name, missing or extra slash, missing or extra angle bracket, missing or extra quote, bad attribute name, invalid or XML-reserved character), and your are hosed (and could possibly crash the viewer)... There is little to no safety check done for that format in the viewer code (those files are supposed to be bug-free), so your file must be perfectly formatted.

Good and important advice, I'll be very careful the next time.

Is it for you the same, that the original file has a different layout in notepad++ than the one that gets saved via the menu ?

2022-09-15 05:42:18

DonFranko wrote:
Is it for you the same, that the original file has a different layout in notepad++ than the one that gets saved via the menu ?
The original file was hand-written, while the file saved via the viewer Advanced/XUI menu is rebuilt from the viewer memory, thus the different layout.

They are both equally valid.

2022-09-15 07:54:18
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2