Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 12:59:26

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Crashes with Memory Allication Failure 

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
DonFranko wrote:
We recommend that you set the initial size to 1.5 times the amount of RAM in the system." I'm no English native, so , to double-check: MS wants met to make the swap file as big as 24GB? Is that correct? How is your setting, if I may ask?
4GB should be more than enough for a 16GB system (Windows will use 2.5GB by default on such a system). You may let Windows decide, but the advantage of setting it manually, with the same size for the "minimum" and "maximum", is precisely that you will not get allocation failures whenever Windows needs to grow and reallocate that page file. With a fixed size, the allocations will always be successful (because the page file will never be grown up or shrunken down), unless you consume (commit) more than 16GB (your RAM) - 1GB (for the OS kernel) + 4GB (your page file size) at once, which means over 19GB.

Thanks - I'll try with 8GB now as my Virtual Piano is using quite some RAM. Although it never shows that it get's tight, I'll just try.

2022-10-08 16:32:15

A little update:

I lowered it to 4GB and had one time again a virtual memory warning crash. But only one at a really full venue.

Then I went to 8GB again and since then all seems to work great.

The rezzing was really really slow when I set the affinity to just the first Cores (0+1). And my DAW to 2-7.

Currently I have CV's affinity set to the last 4 (4-7) and the number of Image decode threads to 2; my DAW is set to use all Cores with no internal restrictions. That settings seems to work great.

thanks again for your valuable help on that topic!

2022-10-21 16:15:35

DonFranko wrote:
I lowered it to 4GB and had one time again a virtual memory warning crash.
Did you set the page file with the same size for the "minimum" and "maximum" ?...

This is when Windows needs to grow it, that it (stupidly) returns a failed allocation (instead of delaying the return time for that allocation until the page file is resized and ready).

Unless you actually fill up the whole memory + page file (which is extremely unlikely), you should NOT get ANY allocation failure AT ALL, when the page file is set to a fixed size.

2022-10-21 16:36:37
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
DonFranko wrote:
I lowered it to 4GB and had one time again a virtual memory warning crash.
Did you set the page file with the same size for the "minimum" and "maximum" ?...

This is when Windows needs to grow it, that it (stupidly) returns a failed allocation (instead of delaying the return time for that allocation until the page file is resized and ready).

Unless you actually fill up the whole memory + page file (which is extremely unlikely), you should NOT get ANY allocation failure AT ALL, when the page file is set to a fixed size.

Yes, it's the same size for min and max. I was also wondering about the last memory warning and crash... I guess it's because my piano is really using a lot of ram although it's streaming from a fast ssd.. maybe it also uses the swap file as I don#t see my memory close to problematic usage..
I'm using Ivory Pianos and one library (1 Piano Sound) is around 20-30 GB big.. There's alot going on, esp. when I play very dynamically.. I guess that is when my machine get's in panic...

I observe it further.

When I used the autodrender script - I don't have any problems at all...

2022-10-21 16:48:09

DonFranko wrote:
When I used the autodrender script - I don't have any problems at all...
Thing is, you should not need to derender anything at all...

2022-10-21 16:56:22
Profile WWW

I know you said that - and I'm sure you are totally right when you have a modern machine and no such heavy hitting Live Music setup. My CPU and motherboard are really really old as you know.

Just about 2y ago I felt a real hard down hit by some technical changes that I think must have been in SL and/or in Windows. I can't say when exactly it was. My old pc was running like a charm, with SL and my Piano on full performance. (That was, btw, with my old Graphics Card that was very much lower in performance as my current one.) Then, all of sudden, I got crackleds, stutter - the CPU got hit very much harder than before and it didn't went away. I checked everyting I could - no chance. Since then I need to switch one great feature off in my Piano Sound (Resonanz Calculations, that really make a difference when I play piano alone) and had to lower the Viewer Performance. Now with the better Graphics Card I could go back to the recommended Grahics setting, but then these Virtual Memory Allocation crashes appeared....

I know it's time for a new pc or a big update, but beside these things , my old pc is working just great and I want to postpone that 2500 Euro investment as long as I can to maybe get the next generation of Chips that seem to be around the corner (finally) as I have a feeling they finally found a way around that CPU - Speed bottleneck. Or am I totally wrong with my last guess?

2022-10-21 17:48:46

If your virtual piano uses a set of 20-30 GB and you have 16GB RAM and on top of that run a SL Viewer, you should probably set your virtual/swap memory settings significantly higher than 4 GB. Disc space should be cheap enough, even if it doesn't help performance at all. You might also consider to add more RAM, outdated RAM styles like DDR3 might be had cheap, and even outdated systems usually support at least 32GB of RAM even with just 2 slots.

You could use tools like sysinternals process explorer to get a closer look at how much memory is actually used or swapped out. The standard taskmanager display does not really help.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin ... s-explorer
The system memory display can be found with Ctrl-I (or View -> System Information and then the Memory tab).

The difference between "System Commit" and "Physical Memory" is basically what is swapped out, but you can see more details in the lower parts.

2022-10-23 12:50:03

kathrine wrote:
If your virtual piano uses a set of 20-30 GB and you have 16GB RAM and on top of that run a SL Viewer, you should probably set your virtual/swap memory settings significantly higher than 4 GB. Disc space should be cheap enough, even if it doesn't help performance at all. You might also consider to add more RAM, outdated RAM styles like DDR3 might be had cheap, and even outdated systems usually support at least 32GB of RAM even with just 2 slots.

You could use tools like sysinternals process explorer to get a closer look at how much memory is actually used or swapped out. The standard taskmanager display does not really help.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin ... s-explorer
The system memory display can be found with Ctrl-I (or View -> System Information and then the Memory tab).

The difference between "System Commit" and "Physical Memory" is basically what is swapped out, but you can see more details in the lower parts.
Thanks katrhine. I'll have a look at it. Good point. In the manual of my motherboard it's said that max is 16GB. You think I should just try it?

2022-10-23 21:45:15

Today I had two crashes again.. but not as bad as before. The viewer just shut down, although I was not at all zooming, but more and more people came in. The number rose in 15 minutes from 20 to 50.

I attach the log files. Maybe there you can find what caused the two crashes during my tonight#s show...

There is another CoolVLViewerPlus.dmp file that is too big to zip (7.9mb). would that be also of interest?

Attachments:
logs Viewer.7z [49.43 KiB]
Downloaded 51 times
2022-10-23 21:50:37

DonFranko wrote:
Today I had two crashes again.. but not as bad as before. The viewer just shut down, although I was not at all zooming, but more and more people came in. The number rose in 15 minutes from 20 to 50.

I attach the log files. Maybe there you can find what caused the two crashes during my tonight#s show...
Too late... I got rid of the old symbols file since I published a new build today, but maybe the crashes you got did relate to the one I fixed in v1.30.0.23 (in case someone's script would have crashed around you, see this thread), so please get the new version...

Quote:
There is another CoolVLViewerPlus.dmp file that is too big to zip (7.9mb). would that be also of interest?
No, it does not bring anything more than the small crash dump for what I am doing with them (i.e. merely looking at the call stack to find the location of the crash).

2022-10-23 22:05:57
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next