Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-27 17:07:13

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Moving sideways 

When I try to move sideways with shift-arrow left or shift-arrow right, it occurs in a reasonably straight line when I face North or South.
When facing West or East, my walk becomes a diagonal line. I wonder if this is a math thing in some Linden routine, as it occurs in all viewers I have installed.
I use that move often when I'm at a shopping event or walking between the G&S vines for harvesting.
Sorry if the question is too general but this has puzzled me for some time now.

2024-01-21 10:29:25

I cannot reproduce any such issue here: when using SHIFT LEFT or SHIT RIGHT, my avatar does move in a perpendicular axis when compared to its original heading (easily seen with the mini-map open), whatever the cardinal point for it...

Maybe you got some AO or scripted attachment that is causing this ?... Or perhaps a window manager shortcut key or driver interfering with SHIFT+LEFT/RIGHT keys ? Or perhaps a camera scripted override that makes it looks like your avatar is not moving in the right direction ?

2024-01-21 13:13:48
Profile WWW

As another data point, I closely observed 'side walking'. Facing perfectly at any of the four cardinal directions (NSE) and shift arrowing (left or right), I do not see any deviation. In fact, the region boundaries I have turned on in the mini-map never veer from a perfectly straight line, no matter which of those four directions I'm facing. In addition to the suggestions from Henri, you might check your keyboard. It could possibly be sending both up (or down) in combination with your left or right presses. I can repro what I think your behavior is by holding say shift+left+up and I will walk 'diagonally'.

2024-01-21 15:43:01

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
I cannot reproduce any such issue here: when using SHIFT LEFT or SHIT RIGHT, my avatar does move in a perpendicular axis when compared to its original heading (easily seen with the mini-map open), whatever the cardinal point for it...

Maybe you got some AO or scripted attachment that is causing this ?... Or perhaps a window manager shortcut key or driver interfering with SHIFT+LEFT/RIGHT keys ? Or perhaps a camera scripted override that makes it looks like your avatar is not moving in the right direction ?

I eliminated every possibility of this being due to anything scripted, but I never tried if changing window managers made any difference.
In Firestorm I use the setting "Remap shortcuts already used by Linux", but who knows. I better browse that panel with Linux shortcuts again.)

(I perceived this in Firestorm, The Cool VL Viewer, Singularity, Kokua and the Lindenviewer under Wine so far.)

2024-01-21 17:00:31

ZaneZimer wrote:
As another data point, I closely observed 'side walking'. Facing perfectly at any of the four cardinal directions (NSE) and shift arrowing (left or right), I do not see any deviation. In fact, the region boundaries I have turned on in the mini-map never veer from a perfectly straight line, no matter which of those four directions I'm facing. In addition to the suggestions from Henri, you might check your keyboard. It could possibly be sending both up (or down) in combination with your left or right presses. I can repro what I think your behavior is by holding say shift+left+up and I will walk 'diagonally'.

Thanks, will look into that as well.
I started to think it was some old maths problem like the drifting of rotating objects when I first came to SL in 2008.

2024-01-21 17:03:47

So I tried removing all shorcuts from the desktop manager. Tried another flavour. Everything stayed quite the same.
As a last resort I dug up an old tacky Trust gaming keyboard with coloured lights and exchanged my Logitech K120 for that one.
I must say I am really surprised that the strafing/sliding now works as years before. I will install a programme that displays the key codes.
Thanks for all the help!

2024-01-21 19:41:34
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]