Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 09:57:39

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Coolviewer and SLURLs - Work in progress 

Confirmed, SLURLs do not work completely in the moment in Windows. I don't really use them. Two issues:
- the new installer creates wrong registry keys
- a running instance is not detected properly

What works are SLURLs when no viewer instance is running. It will be fixed in the next release. Sorry about that.

2009-04-18 12:22:08
Profile YIM WWW

Good news. The SLURL bug has been fixed, together with a number of other small issues that were partly connected to it. Installer is updated as well. The viewer creates now proper registry entries, uninstall, reinstall and detection of a running viewer is working properly. Also fixed is the internal channel to "Cool SL Viewer" to help count viewer usage properly. That is independent from the name itself now (without SL in it).

I'm uploading it now in R6 including the previous changes from Henri in that version and will update the announcement forum when it is ready.

2009-04-19 07:21:49
Profile YIM WWW

Hi,
I'm new to using CoolViewer - so please excuse me if this question has already been answered...
I'm having trouble with slurls, so that's why I'm posting here.

Since I installed CV, I'm finding that slurls do not work for me at all. When I try to link into SL using one [from the web, for example] I get an error saying "Application not found", and then, "the protcol supplied in this address is invalid..."

If I have the viewer open and am logged into SL, same thing happens.

I'm using Vista Home Premium and verision 1.22 of the main SL viewer - with the corresponding CV installation.

Any suggestions, help, or anything would be appriciated - but I'm not techy, so please dumb it down to lay-speak for me!
Ta,
S.

2009-06-11 11:10:32

This is not a problem with the viewer itself, but with your web browser: you need to configure it so that it points to the viewer executable for the secondlife:// protocol.

From the errors you get, it looks like your web browser is not pointing any more to a valid executable.

If you are using Boy Lane's build ("Cool Viewer"), I'm afraid you will have to figure out by yourself.

If you are using the genuine "Cool SL Viewer" (downloaded from this site), then here is how to proceed:

With Firefox v3.0, simply open the Preferences panel, go to the "Applications" tab, and search for "secondlife". Click on the line, and drop down the combo list and choose "Use other...", then browse your hard disk with the file selector to point it to "SecondLife.exe" in the installation directory you chose for the viewer (if you installed it in the default directory, then it is c:\Program Files\SecondLife\SecondLife.exe).

Done !

2009-06-11 13:26:13
Profile WWW

Thanks Henri,
I am using the genuine Cool SL Viewer, but I'm also using explorer 8 - any hints??

Ta :)

2009-06-12 13:21:10

Using IE instead of Firefox ?... What a silly idea !... :P

Normally, the SecondLife installer automatically sets the right key in the registry for IE, and since the genuine Cool SL Viewer uses the same executable name (SecondLife.exe), it should work out of the box...

You may either:
  • uninstall and reinstall SecondLife + Cool SL Viewer.
  • Launch "regedit.exe" and search for the "secondlife" key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, then change the value in secondlife/shell/open/command to point to the right executable.

2009-06-12 15:46:11
Profile WWW

*laughs*
Thanks Henri - Problem solved, I installed Firefox....easy peasy.
It issue musta been with IE8.

Thanks for your patience!
S
:D

2009-06-12 16:36:55
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2