Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 15:36:42

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Removal/Uninstall of Cool Viewer 

Although you may question why it is exactly I want to do this, I need to know how to completely remove all traces of this viewer. I found that when attempting to open SL through the standard exe as well as the Restrained Life Viewer, the login in screen was filled with information about beta related things. Furthermore, this screen would not accept my password. As there seems to be no actual uninstall tool for Cool Viewer, I deleted it and used my search function to expunge any remnants of it. Still no good. Full uninstall and reinstall of the official SL viewer had no effect on the beta screen phenomenon. A live chat with customer service also did not resolve this, as after a lengthy conversation the representative suggested that I either reformat my entire drive (no thanks) or run a registry cleaner, which I did (Glary Registry Cleaner).

Nothing I have tried has been able to completely remove the Cool Viewer. No matter what I uninstall/reinstall/delete/clean, I still have the same beta screen login, with the Cool Viewer version number listed in the bottom right corner of the screen. If you can provide any assistance on how to purge this viewer in its entirety, I would appreciate it greatly, as I've spent nearly 4 hours attempting to do so with nothing to show for it. Thank you.

2009-04-07 08:42:24

@Nimbus

As you refer to .exe and registry I assume that is about the windows version ;).

All current viewers, CV and SL, except the latest Shadow Viewer (which is not a CV) default to a user directory of:
WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\<you>\Application Data\SecondLife\
Vista: C:\Users\<you>\Appdata\roaming\secondlife\

They also use per default a common settings file settings.xml in the user_settings folder in above mentioned location.

It is mentioned many times on my blog as well as in the included README_IMPORTANT!!!.txt file that you need to start the viewer with the included Cool Viewer.lnk shortcut which defines a separate and independent settings_<version>.xml file that doesn't overlap with other viewers. You obviously started it with the .exe file and "reused" and changed an existing default settings.xml which is incompatible between different versions. That's why your viewers do now all kind of strange things :).

To uninstall completely please uninstall the viewer itself from c:\program files\secondlife and delete the directory as above. It is also explained in detail in http://my.opera.com/boylane/blog/solid.

I will release the next CV with a new installer (the shadow viewer has it already) that works similar to the SL one but installs it independently.

Hope that helps.

BTW, here you get help. Reformat your drive....morons :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen:

2009-04-07 10:09:40
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]