It would have been nice if you could have told what grid exactly you referred to... I found out that DreamNation is a probable candidate (since I found an avatar going by the same name as your pseudo here, and since it's v0.9 server with indeed inventory issues).
I am not aware of any breakage in OpenSim inventory protocol over the SL standards, but it won't be the first time that OpenSim developers change something without telling what they changed and how to the viewer developers...
In any case, I tried to log in in all the OpenSim grids I got an avatar for, a few of them running OpenSim v0.9 as well (and a few more even newer (?) versions: I even saw v1.1.xxx...), and only found an issue with HTTP inventory fetches on DreamNation: I therefore infer that the problem is server side, not viewer side. Disabling HTTP inventory fetches (setting UseHTTPInventory to FALSE from the debug settings floater at the login screen, or by unchecking "Advanced" -> "Network" -> "Use HTTP inventory fetches" and relogging) "solves" (by switching to UDP fetches) the issue.
The problem you encounter could be either due to broken communications between the database and the HTTP sever, a badly configured HTTP server, bad CGI scripts for the inventory capabilities, or bad FetchInventory2/FetchInventoryDescendents2 capabilities (usually, a missing or an extraneous ending "/", but this could just be a typo in the capability UUID as well) sent to the viewers.
If these fail, I suggest you ask the OpenSim developers what they changed/broke, and report to me here, so that I can take the necessary measure, if needed.