Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 13:02:43

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
setenv_sunmoonposition behaviour detla 

Hi Henri,

I have noticed what appears to be a difference in "@setenv_sunmoonposition:0.0=force" between Marines RLV and Cool while playing with Marines Tentacles.

In Cool VL Viewer, this command causes Huds to not be visible, (or just blacked) out when combined with the other environment settings being used. In Marines RLV, the Huds remain visible. Its an interesting effect, but probably not intentional. My test code is attached, so you can have a look for yourself.

Thanks!
~Lycia

Code:
string restrictions;

integer on = FALSE;

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSay(0, "Hello, Avatar!");

restrictions = "@"
            + "setenv_bluehorizonr:0.16=force"
            + ",setenv_bluehorizong:0.0=force"
            + ",setenv_bluehorizonb:0.03=force"

+ ",setenv_hazehorizon:0.68=force"

+ ",setenv_bluedensityr:1.0=force"
            + ",setenv_bluedensityg:1.0=force"
            + ",setenv_bluedensityb:1.0=force"

+ ",setenv_hazedensity:1=force"
            + ",setenv_densitymultiplier:0=force"
            + ",setenv_distancemultiplier:100.0=force"

+ ",setenv_maxaltitude:4000.0=force"

+ ",setenv_sunmooncolorr:0.0=force"
            + ",setenv_sunmooncolorg:0.0=force"
            + ",setenv_sunmooncolorb:0.0=force"

+ ",setenv_ambientr:0.0=force"
            + ",setenv_ambientg:0.0=force"
            + ",setenv_ambientb:0.0=force"

+ ",setenv_sunglowfocus:0.0=force"
            + ",setenv_sunglowsize:0.0=force"

+ ",setenv_sunmoonposition:0.0=force"

+ ",setenv_scenegamma:1.0=force"           
            + ",setenv_cloudcoverage:0.0=force"           
            + ",setenv_starbrightness:0.0=force"

+ ",setenv=n"

+ ",camdrawmax:3=n"
            + ",camdrawmin:2.5=n"
            + ",camdrawalphamin:0=n"
            + ",camdrawalphamax:1=n"
            + ",camdrawcolor:0.0;0;0=n"
            + ",camtextures:6d177b25-e990-87c4-609b-cca0e3cb689b=n"
        ;
    }

touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        on = !on;

if (on) {
            llWhisper(0, "applying restrictions: " + restrictions);
            llOwnerSay(restrictions);
        }
        else {
            llWhisper(0, "restrictions cleared");
            llOwnerSay("@setenv_daytime:-1=force");
            llOwnerSay("@clear");

}
    }
}

2021-03-14 01:37:22

Lycia_Undercroft wrote:
I have noticed what appears to be a difference in "@setenv_sunmoonposition:0.0=force" between Marines RLV and Cool while playing with Marines Tentacles.
What graphics settings are you using ?... Unlike other viewers, the Cool VL Viewer can do both WL and EE rendering, and @setenv_sunmoonposition (as well as @setenv_eastangle) is only implemented for the WL rendering mode and only when not overridden by EE settings (i.e. when actually playing plain WL settings).

Quote:
In Cool VL Viewer, this command causes Huds to not be visible, (or just blacked)
This is impossible since HUDs are totally unaffected by environment lighting ! I suppose you meant the in-world display...

Quote:
out when combined with the other environment settings being used. In Marines RLV, the Huds remain visible. Its an interesting effect, but probably not intentional. My test code is attached, so you can have a look for yourself.
The code you provide works fine at first click, then the 3D view (not the HUDs !) goes black at next applying of parameters; with or without @setenv_sunmoonposition, the effect is exactly the same for me. Adding "@setenv_daytime:0.0=force" (which I guess is what was meant by (wrongly) setting @setenv_sunmoonposition to 0) provides what I think is what those settings were meant to achieve...
Note that @setenv_sunmoonposition and @setenv_eastangle do not correspond any more to anything tangible in EE settings (they were WL parameters that have not been kept for EE which got differentiated Moon and Sun orbits) and got approximated (with a dubious calculation that I did not adopt so far) in Marine's RLV.

I'm sorry, but I cannot afford spending time to try and "fix" this discrepancy in how @setenv works (and in all cases: WL rendering with or without EE settings overriding, or EE rendering with or without WL settings translation). If you can pinpoint *precise* differences in how each individual @setenv_<setting> works, then I might investigate...

2021-03-17 13:10:51
Profile WWW

Hi Henri,

Looks like this is no longer reproducible on the release you did today. Cool! :)

Anyway... I was swamped and could not get more details until today, so here is what i found for the sake of completeness and curiosity.

This weird 'lighting related behavior' was was affecting objects attached to the hud points on my display, and yup, lighting has never affected huds in my experience. I didn't even think about it in detail till you brought it up and mentioned all the modes available in Cool.

Under the conditions noted below... turning on "Extended Environment Shaders" caused all the hud objects to be visible as expected, turning it off caused all the huds to be blacked out. "Advanced Lighting Model" had no effect regardless of if it was on or off. So, apparently i had "Extended Environment Shaders" turned off for some reason, (probably after visiting an over crowded shopping mall) and noticed the effect later.

It turned out a combination of two settings caused the weird 'hud black out' effect...
"setenv_densitymultiplier:0=force"
"setenv_sunmoonposition:0.0=force"

Strange stuff. I thought it was interesting enough to close out with the extra information.

As always, thanks for what continues to be my favorite viewer by far, and the insane amount of support you put into it.

Stay Healthy!
-Lycia

2021-03-21 00:01:05
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]