Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-07-13 18:51:42



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
non-bdsm uses of RLV 
Author Message

Joined: 2009-03-18 09:32:02
Posts: 246
Reply with quote
Is there anybody else who thought about uses for RLV that are not related to BDSM activities?


so far i've made:

- a privacy attachment that lets you set up an allowlist for IM, using the RLV IM restrictions
- a version of the automap attachment for stargates that uses RLV to actually start the TP when you walk through the event horizon of a gate, instead of bringing up the map.
- clothes remover scripts that go in one prim part of an outfit and remove non-prim parts as well.


2009-03-18 20:35:38
Profile YIM WWW

Joined: 2009-03-18 09:41:54
Posts: 23
Reply with quote
Quote:
- clothes remover scripts that go in one prim part of an outfit and remove non-prim parts as well.

Oh yes, I've scripted some of my outfits that way!

Those "wardrobe management" RLV commands really are useful.
When I added the save/restore outfit functions in OpenCollar, and later the search-and-wear function, it wasn't BDSM I had in mind. Only useful shortcuts that makes it possible not to browse your inventory window for changing your outfit.
Locking clothing items is also useful for not unintendedly losing your tatoos.


2009-03-19 13:10:26
Profile

Joined: 2009-03-23 19:07:48
Posts: 30
Reply with quote
Lance Corrimal wrote:
Is there anybody else who thought about uses for RLV that are not related to BDSM activities?


Yes, I wrote an attachment that uses the RLV WindLight controls to set specific skies for various sims as I move from place to place.


2009-03-23 19:10:23
Profile

Joined: 2009-03-18 09:32:02
Posts: 246
Reply with quote
by the way, the rlv @tpto= support is now in the mainstream stargate code.
any stargate that is an opengate version 2.10 or above hands out an automap attachment that does RLV tpto if rlv is enabled.


2009-03-24 11:29:15
Profile YIM WWW

Joined: 2009-03-25 14:44:29
Posts: 3
Reply with quote
Lucky chair autostalker, guaranteed to grab all wildcards unattended. :)

Not to mention that I'm pushing for support of RLV tpto in Hands of Omega TARDISes, which work on the principle very similar to stargates...


2009-03-25 14:46:20
Profile WWW

Joined: 2009-03-25 14:48:18
Posts: 1
Reply with quote
Next version of MechanizedLife's FilterCam will be RLV enabled. It will automatically select any Windlight preset matching with any currently selected FilterCam preset.

It's already working, but not released yet as it is testing phase.


2009-03-25 14:52:35
Profile

Joined: 2009-06-03 08:34:52
Posts: 1
Reply with quote
Bit older, but love to see RLV as a cool extension to regular viewer. Non-bdsm usage is its benefit.

The @tpto is one command of that sort, another one is @sit. I had crashed very often in the past and after log in was standing near the chair or bed or whatever i was sitting on. So, made a device that is checking where i am sitting on and sit me on that item after log in, so i continue sitting over the relog.


2009-06-03 08:42:53
Profile

Joined: 2012-01-19 03:18:40
Posts: 204
Location: Sydney, Australia (UTC +10)
Reply with quote
Allen Kerensky wrote:
Yes, I wrote an attachment that uses the RLV WindLight controls to set specific skies for various sims as I move from place to place.
I do the same, and also use RLV to set the appropriate group active for the land I'm on. I use RLV a lot, and exclusively for non-BDSM purposes such as:

Controlling default items: I use self-detaching scripted objects included in my outfits* to put on my default hair, AO etc. This means I can update the hair etc. in an RLV-controlled folder, and every outfit that uses these items will automatically pick up the changes instead of my having to update every outfit individually. I don't always wear my mesh body (see comments about stripping off scripted items below). I have scripted gadgets that test if I'm wearing the mesh body and putting on/taking off appropriate

Automating outfits: I script outfits so that I can put on or take off items by clicking on my avatar, rather than having to poke about in Inventory. For example, I role-play in science-fiction sims which require me to wear spacesuits including helmets that often require me to remove my hair. I script the helmets with a menu function that uses RLV to remove the helmet and put my default hair back on automatically. Similarly, I script the suit to put the helmet on and remove my hair. The same sort of approach can be used from scripted HUDs to put on/take off hats, hold/drop tools and so on. Vehicles can be scripted to put on associated items when you sit in the driver's/pilot's seat, and remove things you don't need, like your AO (it's always best to strip off any scripted items you don't need while operating a vehicle). Conversely the vehicle can put back default items when you stand up. I find that poking around in Inventory in the middle of role-play etc. breaks immersion, and the more I can do without bringing up floaters, the better I like it.


2022-12-07 03:27:52
Profile

Joined: 2009-03-17 18:42:51
Posts: 5680
Reply with quote
linyifei wrote:
Automating outfits: I script outfits so that I can put on or take off items by clicking on my avatar, rather than having to poke about in Inventory. For example, I role-play in science-fiction sims which require me to wear spacesuits including helmets that often require me to remove my hair. I script the helmets with a menu function that uses RLV to remove the helmet and put my default hair back on automatically. Similarly, I script the suit to put the helmet on and remove my hair. The same sort of approach can be used from scripted HUDs to put on/take off hats, hold/drop tools and so on. Vehicles can be scripted to put on associated items when you sit in the driver's/pilot's seat, and remove things you don't need, like your AO (it's always best to strip off any scripted items you don't need while operating a vehicle). Conversely the vehicle can put back default items when you stand up. I find that poking around in Inventory in the middle of role-play etc. breaks immersion, and the more I can do without bringing up floaters, the better I like it.
Try the Cool Hud: I made an outfit manager for it, the idea being that when you wear the HUD (as part of a given avatar form/outfit folder), it automatically attaches things from your #RLV folder, based on how you configured it for that outfit; coupled with its feature to send commands on registration of attachments to the HUD (which is an open protocol that you may use in your own scripts), you can easily automatically reconfigure accessories used for many different outfits and held as only one copy in #RLV.

On rezzing, the HUD may also send a Lua command line to the viewer (or a RLV @command, or a "bridge" command, for viewers using one: this is a simple llOwnerSay()), so you can perform even more complex things in Lua thanks to it.


2022-12-07 08:29:08
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.