Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 12:37:25

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Feature request: Graphics crashers 

In regard the graphics crashers solution discussed at http://thegreenlanterns.wordpress.com/2013/05/12/debug-settings-to-make-graphics-crashers-obsolete/

I encounter a griefer using the graphic crashing method. I could not find the referenced settings in Cool VL Viewer. Encountering the griefer without the settings set in Firestorm also crashed me. Once I set those settings in Firestorm, I encountered the griefer again and did not crash.

Could we get the referenced debug settings enabled in Cool VL Viewer?

Thanks!

2013-07-22 22:53:41

I didn't yet implement this "feature" for five reasons:

• It only works for attachments (i.e. if the griefer directly rezzes the crasher object in the sim, the feature won't work against it).
  • It makes it impossible to detect a griefer wearing such a crasher object (annoying for sim owners, moderators, etc, who will want to spot griefers and eject them).
  • The Cool VL Viewer is pretty resilient to such attacks; I'm still to see a so called "crasher object" crashing the Cool VL Viewer: it can at worst dramatically slow it down, but I never encountered a crash... Granted, my system is rather powerful (Core-i5 @ 4.7 GHz, GTX 460), but still...
  • You can always "derender" crasher objects (for objects rezzed in-world) or mute the avatar (which will stop rendering all its attachments).
  • This feature got parameters that, when inappropriately set, may cause legit, non-griefing objects to fail to render at all.

2013-07-22 23:10:50
Profile WWW

Hello Henry,

Firestorm seems to have some additional keywords in Debug that help prevent crashes or Framerates below 1.0 when people rezz really large and complex. The comment I saw in chat was:

Quote:
The ones (meshes) I've seen are normally meshs uploaded with thousands of planes put back to back, made semi-transparent and given an HD texture , trashing the openGL drivers, Of course this is just my idea on it, I may be wrong. Supposedly I found a guide on how to make them not effect you. Go into your debug settings (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S) and set the following values:

RenderSculptSAThreshold 115.000
RenderAutoHideSurfaceAreaLimit 600
RenderAutoMuteSurfaceAreaLimit 2100
RenderAttachedLights FALSE

Once set your viewer will automatically defender any worn or rezzed linksets that lag & crash your graphics driver

The fourth Cool VL Viewer does have. Any chance we might get the first three, too? Or maybe we have them but with different names? I know the plain keywords are not really helpful, though. :P

Just asking.

2013-09-07 08:46:55

Merged with the existing topic, with my reply already given to such a request...

2013-09-07 09:09:47
Profile WWW

I have to add something to this... My pc is pretty old and i freeze almost instantly but sure enugh after a few seconds the screen goes black or white and the drivers are restarted so i need to relog. Idk how fast it affects other people but they sure do crash fast enugh in the same way because some crashers are powerful and they are added multiple times so 95% of the people will not be able to move the mouse in the viewer after the first seconds. The only person i know to survive suck a thing is someone that had 4way SLI a few months ago. I do not agree with the way other viewers try to stop this because as Henri said it brings more problems then it solves BUT i`m hoping someone will find a way to eliminate this "overflow exploit BUG" because once they do it with mesh you don't really have a way to get rid of them fast like you can do with turning prims off when you manage to catch it.

2013-09-07 10:30:44
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]