Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-19 16:37:15

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Feature request: Resync animations 

Howdy Henri =)

Would you consider adding this ? The scripting is here, I think...

https://bitbucket.org/Tank_Master/phoen ... fdca0ee048

I hope what I just did does not violate forum rules, I just figured I would make it easier for you =P

2013-08-06 15:22:04

The Cool VL Viewer already resyncs the animations when you "Refresh" an avatar (right click on the avatar, then, in the pie menu "More >" and "Refresh").

2013-08-06 17:30:06
Profile WWW

Well for obvious reasons, that is more than troublesome, nor does it actually "resync" animations, as it only starts the animation over for the person you refresh, not for you both at the same time.

You provide source for your viewer correct ? Would I be allowed to take your source, and recompile it with the menu scripting changes I provided above, so as to have that option via the menu, as is provided in the Firestorm viewer ? This would be for my own personal use, mind you.

Let me just say this.. sometimes I do not.. understand you Henri. This is by no means a "hack" or a griefing tool of any sort, it would be a great and much needed addition to your viewer, that you could rip off of another viewer. Why do you resist adding these type of things, even after I provided the scripting you need ? I am not trying to show you up here Henri.. I would just like to know why.

You might be inclined to come back asking, why not just use the Firestorm viewer if you want that feature ? Well, because I hate Firestorm, it is by far the most overrated viewer being used on the grid, as far as renderer performance and texture resolution, in and of themselves. Your viewer is the best in those regards, and I think this feature request adds no bloat to your viewer at all. Keep up the great work sir.

2013-08-09 17:09:23

Varu Solano wrote:
Well for obvious reasons, that is more than troublesome, nor does it actually "resync" animations, as it only starts the animation over for the person you refresh
Yes, it's exactly what it is meant for...

Quote:
not for you both at the same time.
You don't need this... Animations get automatically synced on their second run, and since animation length is limited to 60s, it takes at most 60s to see all avatars playing the same animation resynced. I'm aware that there is currently (it's a recent bug and Lindens are working on it) a server-side bug that can get a couple of avatars to get out of sync sometimes, but I'm still to see this happening (I never witnessed this bug myself), and a server-side bug must be fixed server-side, not with a viewer-side dirty hack...

Quote:
You provide source for your viewer correct ? Would I be allowed to take your source, and recompile it with the menu scripting changes I provided above, so as to have that option via the menu, as is provided in the Firestorm viewer ? This would be for my own personal use, mind you.
The viewer is GPL, so you can do everything the GPL license allows you to do...

Quote:
Let me just say this.. sometimes I do not.. understand you Henri. This is by no means a "hack" or a griefing tool of any sort, it would be a great and much needed addition to your viewer, that you could rip off of another viewer. Why do you resist adding these type of things, even after I provided the scripting you need ? I am not trying to show you up here Henri.. I would just like to know why.
Just read the text in red in this post...

2013-08-09 17:38:17
Profile WWW

Quote:
You don't need this... Animations get automatically synced on their second run, and since animation length is limited to 60s, it takes at most 60s to see all avatars playing the same animation resynced. I'm aware that there is currently (it's a recent bug and Lindens are working on it) a server-side bug that can get a couple of avatars to get out of sync sometimes, but I'm still to see this happening (I never witnessed this bug myself), and a server-side bug must be fixed server-side, not with a viewer-side dirty hack...

Sure ya need it =) Aside from 60s or even 30s being a long time to wait (most people are impatient) I will give an example, for the purposes of reproduction, you talented coders love this stuff. Let us assume you are at a club.. you are dancing with a friend or a group of friends. Let us say, you want to alt-zoom to tip the DJ, and to do so, obviously requires you to move the camera away from you and your friends, to where the tip board is. You do so, and when you bring the camera back, BAM !! On the *viewer* side, the animations are out of sync. You and I both know Henri, Linden Lab will not be fixing this anytime soon, so despite you calling it a dirty hack, it is still a nice feature =P

Quote:
Keep in mind that I made this viewer for myself in the first place and that I am the only person to decide how it should work and what features it should implement or not. I made this viewer publicly available as a free service to the SL (and OpenSim) community for like-minded people that found LL's viewer UI cumbersome and inefficient, but if this public availability is going to impair me and cause excessive constraints to what I can do with my own code to fulfill my own needs, then I would rather retire the Cool VL Viewer and keep it as private builds for myself and my close friends rather than having to abandon all the features that make it so unique and so much better-suited for my own needs and use.

I cannot fully express my appreciation for your willingness to provide us with the fruits of your labor and talent. I would be inclined to donate if you would take it, but I can understand where you are coming from.. if you were to do that, you would have to start making feature additions from anyone that was willing to do so, but... does this one menu option, impair you or cause excessive restraint to what else you do with the viewer ? I will not comment after this, as I am not here to harp on you, I just figured this would be a feature, you could implement and then remove later, if this were eventually fixed by Linden Lab at a later point. Thank you for your time Henri.

2013-08-09 17:59:26

It's definitely a useful feature if you are recording Machinima since an avatar that gets out of camera view becomes de-synched (I assume the animation is no longer updated?) so the keystroke shortcut is really handy to re-synch as soon as possible especially if you are recording a LIVE event otherwise not a deal breaker (just make sure you keep all the dancers in view if just watching the event).

2014-07-29 01:49:23
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]