Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 06:35:21

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Feature Request: IM Privacy 

The version 3 viewers have a privacy checkbox that allows only your friends and groups to message you.
Is it possible you could add this?

Thanks, Henri!

2014-01-19 01:21:26

Is this the same feature as found under the IM & Logs tab, Instant Messaging box, Online Status: (checkbox) Only my Friends and Groups can see when I am online ?

2014-01-19 03:01:14

@Lord: no, this only controls your online visibility (though, some TPVs, such as Emerald, have been known to circumvent this setting and this won't hide your online status from scripts either).

@Elektra: open your profile, select the Web tab, then click on the "SL web profile" button (for more comfort, I'd recommend clicking on that button's down arrow and selecting "In built-in browser"). Once your web profile has loaded, click on the "gear" (settings) icon and then select the privacy tab in the settings page. You will see many privacy options there that are not accessible from viewers (including v3) Preferences settings. The setting you are seeking for is probably "Send you messages (control who can send you private messages)". Note however that it won't affect IMs, but only web-profile/feed based messages. You might also want to check the "Notifications" tab in that same web settings page, since there are many settings there that govern if/when and how you are notified from changes in the web-based feed/profile.

I don't intend to implement a different way of configuring these settings, since they change often (every few months a new setting is added or an old one gets changed) and are web-based (i.e. they don't affect truly in-world communications; for example, the profile settings won't affect in-world non-web profiles visibility, but only web-based profiles one) and are SL-only settings (i.e they don't exist in OpenSim).

2014-01-19 10:36:12
Profile WWW

Yeah this isn't for the web profiles but it's a checkbox in all the V3 viewers that I've seen.
Here's a screenshot for ya with the option highlighted.

Attachments:
2014-01-20 09_27_12-Firestorm-Betax64 4.5.1.38838.jpg
2014-01-20 09_27_12-Firestorm-Betax64 4.5.1.38838.jpg [ 52.8 KiB | Viewed 2603 times ]
2014-01-20 17:33:07

This "feature" (more like a dirty hack) does *not* exist in official viewers. This is apparently an add-on specific to some TPVs, and it seems to me quite dangerous (it would prevent anyone but persons on your friends list to contact you in SL !!!); it's a sort of "global muting" which works the wrong way around (i.e. via white-listing instead of black-listing): also, if IMs from non-friends get blocked, then nobody can befriend you (friendship requests are done via the IM system as well)... That's plain silly !... If you don't want to communicate with SLers, I'd suggest quitting SL altogether, lol !

Sorry, but I won't implement it !

2014-01-20 18:35:00
Profile WWW

Actually the purpose to this is similar to anti-spam measures.
It's largely to keep horny net geeks and script kiddies from messaging you at large social events.
So it's not meant to be kept on all the time.

I was hoping to keep with Cool VL Viewer but Singularity has these sanity options.

:|

2014-01-21 09:33:43

elektra.jinx wrote:
Actually the purpose to this is similar to anti-spam measures.
It's largely to keep horny net geeks and script kiddies from messaging you at large social events.

So it's not meant to be kept on all the time.
It is a permanent setting, and thus meant to be kept over sessions... If you are seeking for a temporary anti-spam measure, simply enable the "Auto-reply" mode.

Quote:
I was hoping to keep with Cool VL Viewer but Singularity has these sanity options.
That feature is rather insane (or at least, largely disproportionate), but whatever floats your boat...

2014-01-21 15:56:49
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]