Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-29 06:31:27

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Frame Limiting 

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
I don't intend to implement frame limiting in the Cool VL Viewer !

And yes, I'm proud that it can do 300+ FPS (it means that I optimized the main loop very well), and yes this is actually useful (because a frame is not just about displaying an updated 3D view: it's also about dealing with sim to viewer and viewer to sim messages, taking into account the user's interaction (mouse, keyboard), updating the UI, rezzing objects, decoding textures, computing various things, etc, etc... At lower frame rates, the viewer simply becomes overall more sluggish.
And yes, I don't really care about power consumption (my own systems are overclocked and locked in "turbo"/"performance" modes always); if I wanted low power systems, I won't buy high performance ones in the first place...

If you really want to slow down the viewer, you still can enable the "sync to VBlank" feature of your driver, meaning the viewer will get artificially slowed down to 60 FPS (or whatever rate corresponding to the vertical refresh frequency of your monitor) for its peak rates. I still don't recommend doing it.

In an ideal world, the 3D rendering loop of the viewer would be done in a separate thread, that could then be limited to produce lower frame rates while not slowing down the rest of the operations of the viewer (that would still be executed by the main thread). Achieving this result would however involve a huge overhaul of the code, and it's unlikely that it will ever happen.

That's an interesting bit of info. So what is happening if you are recording with FRAPS at 25 fps and the viewer "was" running at 90fps is the viewer being slowed down to 25? I know the stats bar shows it to possibly be the case although in some circumstances long ago possibly the LL viewer did show the true fps in the viewer (dependent on the viewer?). Would a desktop recorder make a difference?

2014-09-05 19:00:34

fuzonacid wrote:
That's an interesting bit of info. So what is happening if you are recording with FRAPS at 25 fps and the viewer "was" running at 90fps is the viewer being slowed down to 25? I know the stats bar shows it to possibly be the case although in some circumstances long ago possibly the LL viewer did show the true fps in the viewer (dependent on the viewer?). Would a desktop recorder make a difference?
Normally, the frame rate should not vary, as long as the recorder doesn't enforce the Sync to VBlank feature of the graphics driver... On the other hand, I don't know "FRAPS", so I can't tell for sure.

2014-09-06 00:20:28
Profile WWW

We use fraps at work and it does indeed limit the 3d application to the recording fps. I have no idea how though. It will do 25, 29 or 30 depending on your target video framerate.

2014-09-06 11:41:02

Catten wrote:
We use fraps at work and it does indeed limit the 3d application to the recording fps. I have no idea how though. It will do 25, 29 or 30 depending on your target video framerate.

Possibly the reason is because it's not recording as a desktop recorder but records the focused window so if you have 2 viewers running it will switch to record the one you have focused. It only does this when the recording actually starts however. I beleive that's what people complain about when they use FRAPS to record other games although you can set the framerate to whatever you like in the settings so you can record at 60fps+ but the files which are already freaking huge become much bigger and you risk your hard drive not keeping up depending on the resolution. Some people have played around making FRAPS buffer to a Ramdisk and then copy to HD which would work. Beyond my skills however.

2014-09-07 06:04:28
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2