Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 19:33:22

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Feature requests 

I'm not sure if this is where one makes feature requests, but I have two requests.

Var Regions Maps
I use CoolVL on OpenSim grids a lot, and I've noticed that if a sim has an area larger than 256x256 (e.g. 512x512) CoolVL only draws the lower left 256x256. The larger regions aren't that common, but it would be good to have a full map tile for one.

File Selector Shortcuts
It would be extremely handy to be able to have a list of folder/directory shortcuts on the File Selector, to point to directories you use the most. You could add the currently selected directory using an "Add" button (maybe you would also get to give it a shortcut name). Pressing the shortcut entry would change the current directory to that shortcut. Each entry would have a small "X" button next to the name which pressed would delete it.

Just a couple of ideas.

2016-05-23 10:27:08
Profile WWW

Var regions are uncommon enough that I can't happen to find any whenever I need to test my viewer in one... There is also a total lack of reliable and comprehensive information about how they are implemented, what protocols they change or expand, and what changes are needed (and for which feature) to fully support them in viewers... The support for var regions in the Cool VL Viewer is a mix of code I backported (and debugged... quite a bit !) from other viewers and a few things I found out via guess work, but it is not surprising some things don't work "as expected"...

If the OpenSim developers want to see OpenSim-specific features supported by SL viewers, they need to make a minimum of efforts and "push" some reliable information to us, viewer developers...

As for the file selector improvements, they would be very low on my "todo" list: the use of the file selector is not *that* frequent and a basic selector is more than enough for such use, not to mention I don't like file selectors that also pretend making the coffee for you... No, seriously, these selectors became bloated pieces of crashy software in their own rights with time; as an "old fart" (old in the computing world, because I still feel quite young), I like minimalist (lean and clean) software that performs one task but performs it well and 100% reliably.
This said, the sources are open, so if it fancies you (or someone else), you could implement it yourself and propose a patch to the file selector: provided it's clean and doesn't add bloat or slows down the viewer, I may accept it and integrate it to the official releases.

2016-05-23 17:57:18
Profile WWW

What is the current situation with VAR regions and the World Map? Av motion and building all seem to work well in VAR areas, but the map only displays the first 256x256 of a VAR. Is this problem being worked on?
We have so many VARs - and many more to come, that this really is a must-have.

2017-01-13 18:34:27

KittoFlora wrote:
What is the current situation with VAR regions and the World Map? Av motion and building all seem to work well in VAR areas, but the map only displays the first 256x256 of a VAR. Is this problem being worked on?
This can't be fixed short of fully rewriting the world map from scratch (since it's designed with the prerequisite that all regions got the same size). I'm sorry, but I don't plan to "fix" it myself.

2017-01-13 18:40:59
Profile WWW

There may be a solution elsewhere. Singularity for example manages to show var regions on the map OK.

2017-01-21 23:38:11
Profile WWW

LauraEss wrote:
There may be a solution elsewhere. Singularity for example manages to show var regions on the map OK.

Singularity does not support terrain (objects-less) maps in SL. The Cool VL Viewer does... There's a cost to some features, and loosing terrain maps is not a cost I'm ready to pay !

Beside, the "management" you are speaking about is more a dirty hack than anything else...

2017-01-22 00:14:11
Profile WWW

That's fair enough. If Singularity uses a hack, the onus then is really on OpenSim developers to provide a clean reliable way for viewer developers to account for regions of variable size. CoolVL is stable, and compromising that with features that may not be reliable isn't a good thing to do. From a user's point of view such design and development considerations are invisible. Instead we see features and often the cost is not apparent one way or another.

Seeing terrain objects is very handy. :D

2017-01-23 22:49:33
Profile WWW

Hi Henri,

I know this is probably a futile attempt for you to revisit this request, but I have to try anyways. ;) Have you thought anymore about varregions for the map? There is also an issue with TP'ing within a varregions to another avatar location using the radar TP feature. I'm guessing its connected to the map not supporting variregions?

Thanks,
Geoff
:D

2018-03-03 22:38:37

GeoffEarnshaw wrote:
Have you thought anymore about varregions for the map?
I did not change my stance about it and see no reason to "fix" this. There is simply no way the world map can properly display regions of varying sizes; it was not designed for it in the first place (all the sim tiles have the same size in the map, regardless of the region actual size).

Quote:
There is also an issue with TP'ing within a varregions to another avatar location using the radar TP feature. I'm guessing its connected to the map not supporting variregions
Bad guess. It has nothing to do. But I don't see why it won't work (the code for varegions in teleports should work). Without more details, a log (with the "Teleport" debug tag enabled to activate the corresponding DEBUG messages in the log), and a region to test it (with enough avatars around to try to TP at various coordinates in the region), I cannot know what's going wrong in your case...

2018-03-05 16:34:05
Profile WWW

OK, that's too bad...

As far as the TPing within a variregion goes. I'll submit a bug with the proper logs with the "Teleport" debug tag enabled.

Thanks,
Geoff

2018-03-05 23:06:27
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]