Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 22:30:50

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
current selected Link number (and Face number) 

Hello Henri.

current selected Link number (and Face number) on build floater

There is no indication of this item in the official viewer.
However, I think it is convenient.

2017-01-10 20:27:54
Profile WWW

Did you try CTRL ALT SHIFT T (Advanced -> Rendering -> Selected texture info) ?
It dumps the prim name and UUID, and the texture Ids for each selected face (you may select one or several faces first, a primitive, or a whole object).

As for the link number, I really don't see any use for it; apart from the root primitive which will keep its number, linking or unlinking the other primitives, or adding/removing a primitive from the link set will shuffle the link numbers around, so you should really never rely on them, such as in scripts, for example...

2017-01-10 22:37:33
Profile WWW

There is a minor use for link numbers - when applying sit targets. The system will (at least used to) seat an Av on the lowest number prim of a linkset that has a link target set. If you want to limit the number of avs that can sit on a linkset, e.g. a car with 4 seats, then you set sit positions on on 4 low-numbered links, ideally seat prims, and in a high numbered prim (ideally in some un-clickable spot) you put a small script that un-sits the 5th sitter. To do this kind of scripting it is useful to be able to easily see the link number. Also if you subsequently have to edit the prims in the linkset it is useful to be able to quickly check that prims are linked in good sequence.

2017-01-11 20:50:44

When only one face is selected,
I try that a number of current Face is displayed.
Thank you for your advice.

2017-01-11 21:03:09
Profile WWW

KittoFlora wrote:
There is a minor use for link numbers - when applying sit targets. The system will (at least used to) seat an Av on the lowest number prim of a linkset that has a link target set. If you want to limit the number of avs that can sit on a linkset, e.g. a car with 4 seats, then you set sit positions on on 4 low-numbered links, ideally seat prims, and in a high numbered prim (ideally in some un-clickable spot) you put a small script that un-sits the 5th sitter. To do this kind of scripting it is useful to be able to easily see the link number. Also if you subsequently have to edit the prims in the linkset it is useful to be able to quickly check that prims are linked in good sequence.

I'd rather have the script find by itself the prim number of the seats: by giving the seats prim meaningful names (e.g., "seat 1", "seat 2", etc), it's quite easy to do and then you can unsit avatars that don't sit on the right spot, or avatars in excess. It also ensures that should the vehicle be modified (prims removed or added, vehicle object prims re-linked), you don't break the scripts in it...

2017-01-11 21:41:41
Profile WWW

I use link numbers all the time when scripting items with multiple prims.

2020-02-23 17:20:35
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]