Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-16 17:59:02

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
"emerald speed rezzer"... should be possible to put in CV 

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Lance Corrimal wrote:
i have had this happen several times now, with crashes AND normal logouts.

OK for crashes, impossible for normal logouts... I kept using this feature for weeks before pushing it up in the official release, so you can be sure it was very thoroughly tested...

Try this: set draw distance to 256 or higher, teleport somewhere, and log out BEFORE the speed rezzer is finished raising the DD... and yes that is my normal logout behaviour... ctrl-h and ctrl-q.

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Lance Corrimal wrote:
One "pseudonormal" logout is not handled though:
the "You have been disconnected from SecondLife" logout that happens sometimes when a TP fails. In that case you're stuck with the smaller draw distance too.
Well, stuck until you manually change it back.
This indeed does not qualify as a "normal logout".
What surprises me most is that you get that many crashes/logouts with the Cool SL Viewer... I myself crash/get logged out during a TP like once in a week, at most...
If you are experiencing TP problems, you might want to verify your network (packets losses, slow or unreliable DNS ?) and to reduce the number of attachments (or use lower prims, lower lag attachments) on your avatar.

I get "Teleport request timed out" for about every second teleport, at SL peak times. at other times it's better. I don't crash on TP on a regular basis, but once teleports start failing I get "You have been disconnected" after a handful of tries...

I don't really want to "go the linden way" further than necessary (you know, the "it has to be MY fault since LL can't do wrong, let's detach everything and reduce preferences and strip naked and pray" way)...
It's a known fact that right now teleports are unreliable as hell... It's basically all pointing at mono scripts after tey migrated their servers to 64bit...
And level One (the provider LL uses) is known to be shit.
I do in fact have horrendous amounts of lost packets. They all get lost at a Level One router in frankfurt. One that noone that I can contact seems to feel responsible for. Often enough not even teleporting NAKED works. On the other hand, every thing else that is NOT SL works just fine...

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Lance Corrimal wrote:
I'd say the "safest bet" would be to store the original draw distance in the settings file before changing it, and on startup of SL compare the values of original & backup... and if the backup value is bigger, use it. Also, when changing the draw distance manually in preferences, write the new value in the original AND backup places in the settings.
that should actually take care of the crash version of the problem, too...
Yes, I will see what can be done for the next release to harden the draw distance preservation. Note however, that crashes can sometimes defeat even the saved settings...

That is so very true...
...which is why i keep a copy of my "good & trussted settings file" somewhere outside of ~/.secondlife/user_settings ;)

2010-01-11 14:12:12
Profile YIM WWW

Lance Corrimal wrote:
Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Lance Corrimal wrote:
i have had this happen several times now, with crashes AND normal logouts.

OK for crashes, impossible for normal logouts... I kept using this feature for weeks before pushing it up in the official release, so you can be sure it was very thoroughly tested...

Try this: set draw distance to 256 or higher, teleport somewhere, and log out BEFORE the speed rezzer is finished raising the DD... and yes that is my normal logout behaviour... ctrl-h and ctrl-q.
I tried it again, like a dozen of times, with both v1.23.5.5 and v1.19.2.78 and two different avatars (not that it would really matter, but just in case) and I cannot reproduce your problem: each time the draw distance is progressively restored to its original value (please, note that the speed rezzing also happens on login, so you'll start at 32m on login and will get stepped up progressively till you reach the previously set draw distance).

Quote:
I get "Teleport request timed out" for about every second teleport, at SL peak times. at other times it's better. I don't crash on TP on a regular basis, but once teleports start failing I get "You have been disconnected" after a handful of tries...

I don't really want to "go the linden way" further than necessary (you know, the "it has to be MY fault since LL can't do wrong, let's detach everything and reduce preferences and strip naked and pray" way)...
It's a known fact that right now teleports are unreliable as hell... It's basically all pointing at mono scripts after tey migrated their servers to 64bit...
It's a fact that teleports are very reliable for me, if sometimes slow during peak concurrency time. They are actually much more reliable than what they used to be...

Quote:
And level One (the provider LL uses) is known to be shit.
I do in fact have horrendous amounts of lost packets. They all get lost at a Level One router in frankfurt. One that noone that I can contact seems to feel responsible for. Often enough not even teleporting NAKED works. On the other hand, every thing else that is NOT SL works just fine...
Aside from changing your ISP, I don't see a solution to your problem... Packets losses should be under 0.5% (mine are usually around 0.1-0.2%). Also check your MTU (which might cause packets loss when it is too large): it defaults to 1500, but many links (particularly when they go over a VPN or ATM) can't handle more than 1492 or even less. Mine is set to 1478 which is the optimal value for ADSL over ATM (PPPOA)).

2010-01-11 19:21:28
Profile WWW

Henri Beauchamp wrote:
Packets losses should be under 0.5% (mine are usually around 0.1-0.2%).

Oh, my packet loss is usually under 0.1% after I've reconfigured my dhcp server to "hand out" the order to keep the MTU at 1492... (PPP over ethernet here).

It's just that that one router in frankfurt sometimes has it's bad day and then it drops 50% or worse...

2010-01-11 21:24:13
Profile YIM WWW

The SpeedRez_v2 patch, which is part of today's release of the Cool SL Viewer solves the draw distance setting loss over crashes (well, most crashes at least) and spurious disconnections.

2010-02-03 15:00:37
Profile WWW

and i'm on a different ISP now...
"ping to sim" in SL is half of what it used to be, and a traceroute to the asset server shows that I'm not touching "That Router" in frankfurt at all now!

2010-02-03 15:13:35
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2