Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-24 12:30:32

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Reveal owner of objects chatting on local chat 

Earlier today, someone mentioned in group chat that they were having problems with a spammer object that was shouting in local chat. I TPed over to assist them, and found that it was a self-replicating spammer that shouted the message "Terror will rain down upon the unfit gods and the flock that they govern, from now until the End of Days". After a number of failed attempts to discern the owner (llGetOwnerKey was not working), we eventually figured it out (I don't remember how it was done, though). While trying to figure this out, I had been thinking about how you could click on the names of objects that send you an instant message so that you can see the location, owner, and a mute button. Why can't this be done for objects that speak on local chat?

2010-01-24 14:27:33
Profile WWW

This has been implemented in today's release of the Cool SL Viewer, as follow:

The default setting is not to add a link on the names of the chatting object (i.e. normal, official viewer behaviour).
You can turn the feature on (from the Cool features tab of the preferences floater, Chat/IM sub-tab) for either others' objects, or all objects (including yours, which means that llOwnerSay()s are also affected).

When the feature is on and you click on the name of the chatting object, you get the same information floater as for an object IMing you (object name, object location/slurl, owner name and link to their profile).

Of course, when RestrainedLife is enabled and @shownames=n is in force, the link is not created, and when there is no @shownames restriction on your avatar but @showloc=n is in force, the link is created but without the location/slurl info in the information floater.

Note that since slurl links in chat history do not exist in v1.19 for IMs or speaking avatars, this feature couldn't be implemented for v1.19.2 (although I might backport the whole thing to v1.19.2 later, time permitting).

2010-02-13 11:44:06
Profile WWW

Feature suggestion for this one:

the popup that you get when you click on the linkified name of an object could have a "sit on" button...

2010-03-08 09:53:32
Profile YIM WWW

I think that one could be open to abuse, unfortunately.

2010-03-08 23:04:34
Profile WWW

true... but then everything can be abused anyways.
and I don't think the kind of people that are still green enough to sit on random objects that aren't theirs are mature enough to find the cool viewer, install it without wrecking their precious windows box, and then find, enable, and abuse this setting...

on the other hand, my wife would have lots of fun with that and assorted lucky chairs... ;)

2010-03-09 07:26:02
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]