Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 13:09:27

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
SSAO toggle in Graphics settings 

Hey Henri,

Got a (hopefully small) feature request for you: It'd be cool if there was a toggle switch for SSAO in the Graphics settings.

Been playing around with it though the debug settings over the past couple days, and besides needing to figure out how to adjust the noise level (still messing around with the debug settings on this) SSAO looks pretty good, and doesn't really have a noticable performance impact on my machine, yet does add quite a bit of visual fidelity to a given scene.

Thanks! :)

2021-04-12 23:23:51

Contrarily to you, I find SSAO to be altogether totally useless (no noticeable image improvement, and even degradation of shadows due to "acne" and noise) and extremely detrimental to the frame rate (10-15% and up to 20-30% loss in worst case scenarios). Thus why it was exiled (*) into the "Advanced" -> "Rendering" -> "Deferred rendering" menu, where people with special (advanced) needs will easily find it: it will not budge from there !!!

(*) Together with depth (death ?) of field, which I find frankly totally retard: trying to reproduce the imperfection of a camera lens, when your eyes won't ever see such an "effect" in real life, is totally beyond me... And why not reproducing all the lens aberrations and distortions as well, while we are at it ?... :roll:

2021-04-13 08:15:26
Profile WWW

Admittedly, with the default settings in CoolVL SSAO doesn't work all too well. For anyone interested, the settings I use are as follows:
RenderSSAOEffect: (X) 0.5 (Y) 1.0
RenderSSAOFactor: 5.0
RenderSSAOMaxScale: 400.0
RenderSSAOScale: 1500.0

I found last night that adjusting RenderShadowGaussian gets rid of most of the noticeable 'blocking' (acne?), but there's still a little noise.

RenderShadowGaussian: (X) 3.0 (Y) 3.0

Weird that SSAO doesn't seem to have any noticeable affect on framerate on my end.

But yeah, DOF is all but completely useless unless you're taking photos. Otherwise it just gets in the way.

2021-04-13 10:10:24
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]