Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 11:06:33

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Area Search Strings 

Is it possible to have a "Creators" string in the area search please? its very useful when hunting for items!

2021-08-25 10:55:30

Sadly the creator info is not part of the "ObjectPropertiesFamily" reply sent by the SL servers in reply to the "RequestObjectPropertiesFamily" request sent by the viewer in order to gather surrounding objects data.

In order to get the creator Id info, you must "select" the object (i.e. send a selection request for that object to the server); the creator Id is then part of the much longer and more detailed "ObjectProperties" server message received in reply to that selection request (such a request is normally only sent for the few objects you are actively interacting with).
While I could fake such selections (and immediate de-selection which shall also follow each selection), this would be an extremely spammy (at the server and viewer messaging level) and lag-unfriendly method... I know that some TPVs do it, but I consider it extremely bad practice since it puts a non-negligible load on SL servers (each objects requiring more requests and longer matching replies to gather that extra bit of info).

Given the rather rare usage of the creator info in such a context as objects searching (you'd rather rely on owner or group), I will not implement this feature. Sorry.

2021-08-27 13:17:58
Profile WWW

Thank you for explaining that, more lag is not something we need!!!!

2021-08-27 14:33:10
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]