Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-04-23 17:06:38

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Viewer 2.0 Features... 

These features are the ONLY worthwhile things IMHO that should be backported to Cool Viewer.

* Shared Media
* Tattoo Attachment
* Wearable Alpha Masks

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release ... Viewer/2.0

2010-02-23 20:52:33
Profile WWW

The shared media is unlikely to get backported to v1.23 and even less to v1.19 in a near future.

The new wearables (tattoo and alpha masks) will definitely get backported.

2010-02-24 22:04:27
Profile WWW

I wouldn't mind seeing the Cool SL Viewer stuff in a 2.0 based viewer with the 2.0 user interface. While it DOES take a LOT of getting used to when you have been in SL for 3++ years, the new UI is definitely a big step in the right direction.
Especially in & around the inventory!

Favorite landmarks that are directly accessible without going to your inv?
Ability to make outfits by creating LINKS to no-copy items?
More than ten picks in your profile?

Tattoo layer, wearable alpha masks?

/me likes.

2010-02-25 08:19:26
Profile YIM WWW

Lance Corrimal wrote:
the new UI is definitely a big step in the right direction.

I highly disagree. It makes my job of moderating sandboxes far more difficult - no cursor tips for objects, an extra click to return someone's object and I cannot open more than one profile at a time. This makes monitoring multiple trouble makers hard. :(

I would be amazed if the pre-voice UI can still be used with all the additional functions of V2.0.

2010-02-25 09:09:16

Lance Corrimal wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing the Cool SL Viewer stuff in a 2.0 based viewer with the 2.0 user interface. While it DOES take a LOT of getting used to when you have been in SL for 3++ years, the new UI is definitely a big step in the right direction.
Especially in & around the inventory!
I took the survey and listed about a dozen of show stoppers in the remark box for this horrendous new UI... Among them: no multiple floaters (for profiles, for example), a stupid, enormous, non resizable, space devastating side bar (making it impossible to keep the friends list open all the time, for example), the ridiculously small chat input line, the missing buttons in the toolbar (mini-map, map, fly, search, etc) and the useless ones (among which the voice one you can't remove), the non transparent console for chat, the spammy notices in chat, the stupidly huge borders around the floaters (and why the Hell did they make the movement and camera controls full floaters: it only makes them HUGE and eats up more screen space !), etc, etc, etc...

Quote:
Favorite landmarks that are directly accessible without going to your inv?
Ability to make outfits by creating LINKS to no-copy items?
More than ten picks in your profile?
Tattoo layer, wearable alpha masks?

/me likes.
This has nothing to do with the UI itself, and most (perhaps even all) of these features can be backported to v1, still using the legacy UI.

2010-02-25 09:19:16
Profile WWW

I can see that the old UI is way better for several things.
On the other hand, the new UI has its advantages for "normal users", too.

The best suggestion that I've seen "somewhere" (either the dreaded blogorum or the sldev list) was "make the new UI optional"...

2010-02-25 10:28:47
Profile YIM WWW

If you're taking votes i'd really like to see the shared media implemented. I'm looking at it making several of my high-script items obsolete (my google event calender being the biggest) as soon as the 2.0 viewer becomes the most popular viewer. I'd hate to be left behind not having that functionality. I won't use the 2.0 because of the lack of RLV and horrid interface. I will keep using the Cool VL Viewer because it implements the RLV so well and is the most stable viewer for Linux i've seen.

The symbolic links in inventory would be a fantastic feature. It is a something i've thought would be great to have since i got my first non-copy pair of shoes. (I wrote a force-wear workaround but it requires every no-copy item to go in my #RLV folder.)

2010-04-27 01:30:43

Ibrew Meads wrote:
If you're taking votes i'd really like to see the shared media implemented. I'm looking at it making several of my high-script items obsolete (my google event calender being the biggest) as soon as the 2.0 viewer becomes the most popular viewer. I'd hate to be left behind not having that functionality. I won't use the 2.0 because of the lack of RLV and horrid interface. I will keep using the Cool VL Viewer because it implements the RLV so well and is the most stable viewer for Linux i've seen.
For now, I do not plan to backport the media support stuff in v1.23 (and even less in v1.19), since it'd be too much work for a feature role-players like me will never use...

However, I will eventually move to the Snowglobe v1 code base (must first render it compatible with OpenSim grids since the compatibility was broken when Snowglobe adopted the HTTP map tiles, which are specific to SL), which will then replace the v1.23 branch of the Cool VL Viewer. Media support in Snowglobe is much better (with plugins support) and even the v1 branch of Snowglobe might see the v2.0 media support backported to it, one day or another.

Quote:
The symbolic links in inventory would be a fantastic feature. It is a something i've thought would be great to have since i got my first non-copy pair of shoes. (I wrote a force-wear workaround but it requires every no-copy item to go in my #RLV folder.)
Yes, symbolic links backport is being worked on, but since it touches many parts of the code, it will take some time to implement right and to test before a release can be done.

2010-04-27 08:12:17
Profile WWW

Awesome job Henri, I used the normal SL Viewer for 3 weeks, 1,5 years ago and since then been on your Viewer both on Linux & WinBlows....I can not wait to see what awesomeness you have for us at these hard times :lol:

Just making sure that this is a wanted product and all the work and experiance allrdy put in this will come through in the future, keep up the good work.

2010-04-30 23:22:05

I agree that the 2.0 UI is awful; and I'd stay with Cool always -- EXCEPT for voice. I have gotten involved in several conversations where I'm half out of the loop because much of the discussion takes place in voice. I don't begin to understand all the tech issues involved (I'm a lowly database app developer, not a system programmer)... all I know is they finally got it working in 2.0. No additional modules need to be loaded, no background processes like jack or pulseaudio to handle audio requests. I just fired it up and it works. Just for grins I tried copying SLVoice and the various vivox stuff from 2.0 into my Cool VL Viewer folder but of course that didn't work. I hope one day we'll see the perfect union of the Cool UI and the 2.0 voice chat system! Until then I guess I'll use 2.0 for my voice chat sessions and Cool for everything else.

Since someone will probably ask: Arch Linux with all packages updated as of 04/27/10, kernel 2.6.33, AMD dual core 3Ghz with 8GB RAM, Geforce 9500GT, onboard Intel HDA sound chip ("Azalia").

2010-04-30 23:25:14
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next