Cool VL Viewer forum

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2024-03-28 18:23:59

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Thanks / Feature proposal 

Many thanks for your work, Henri. I enjoy using CSLV, and for now it seems much more stable than the "vanilla" Linden viewers.

I especially appreciate your effort to maintain a legacy version for older computers based on an old known stable SL viewer. And, it`s a very good idea to provide the viewer as a patch to the original version, to me it is another sign of programming experience (saving resources). The installation was absolutely flawless, and will be even for newbies.

Regarding the use on legacy computers, some features might be of use, both when navigating in crowded environments providing slow framerates:

1) Colored dots on minimap
for friends would be very helpful to find the right direction to move to their position, when otherwise you would have to zoom around and read the name tags while the viewer is still rendering avatars.

2) Avatar impostors
I have yet to try the effect of this, as not knowing what it exactly is, I always left it unchecked with the newer SL viewers (to which I will probably never go back...).
How I understand this feature (avoid complete rendering of distant avatars), a backport could be useful for legacy computers.
However I fear that this needs to be supported by the viewer`s graphics engine?

4) Teleport on double-click inworld
is useful, as was the "old" goto function. Both work in the same way, so I suppose they are using the same subroutine to move the avatar?
If not, it might be a feature to leave the goto feature as is (walking instead of teleporting), in order to provide both ways. Goto can be useful in crowded environments where teleporting is restricted to a single entry point, especially when a slow framerate computer severely hinders correct movement with the directional keys.

Best regards!

2009-05-09 12:16:19

fotznik wrote:
Many thanks for your work, Henri. I enjoy using CSLV, and for now it seems much more stable than the "vanilla" Linden viewers.

I especially appreciate your effort to maintain a legacy version for older computers based on an old known stable SL viewer. And, it`s a very good idea to provide the viewer as a patch to the original version, to me it is another sign of programming experience (saving resources). The installation was absolutely flawless, and will be even for newbies.
Glad you like it :)

However, I must tress out that the v1.19 branch will not be maintained forever: all will depend on how difficult it will prove (read: how much time will be required) to backport the future mandatory changes to the viewer (such as when LL will make changes to the messaging protocol between the viewer and the server, or for example, when they will drop the textures based map support in favour of the HTTP maps, etc...).

My aim is mainly to provide, for as long as possible, people using "old" computers with a viewer which can actually run on their machine and provide them with an enjoyable SL (or OpenSim) experience. As time passes, less and less "old computers" (those machines with single core CPUs and old graphic cards) will be left, and then it will be time to drop the v1.19 branch as the benefits will no more overweight the efforts required to maintain it.

Quote:
Regarding the use on legacy computers, some features might be of use, both when navigating in crowded environments providing slow framerates:

1) Colored dots on minimap
for friends would be very helpful to find the right direction to move to their position, when otherwise you would have to zoom around and read the name tags while the viewer is still rendering avatars.
I'll give it a look as it should not be hard to backport.

Quote:
2) Avatar impostors
I have yet to try the effect of this, as not knowing what it exactly is, I always left it unchecked with the newer SL viewers (to which I will probably never go back...).
How I understand this feature (avoid complete rendering of distant avatars), a backport could be useful for legacy computers.
However I fear that this needs to be supported by the viewer`s graphics engine?
Yes, this is too much work as it involves deep changes to the rendering engine... beside, the benefits are not so large, as long as you keep the maximum draw distance below reasonable limits for your computer and graphic card performances (128m or less is usually more than enough and adequate).

Quote:
4) Teleport on double-click inworld
is useful, as was the "old" goto function. Both work in the same way, so I suppose they are using the same subroutine to move the avatar?
If not, it might be a feature to leave the goto feature as is (walking instead of teleporting), in order to provide both ways. Goto can be useful in crowded environments where teleporting is restricted to a single entry point, especially when a slow framerate computer severely hinders correct movement with the directional keys.
This feature has already been implemented in the Cool SL Viewerv1.19.0.5 release 58 (see the announcements forum, please)...

2009-05-09 19:01:31
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]